I Don't Want my Chick to die! HELP PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Telamon, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Telamon

Telamon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    I have no idea.
    My baby chick looks sick. He has droopy eyes and stays still most of the time. I can't send pics because I don't have a camera. Please give advice.

Thanks,
    Telamon

2. tiffanyg2

tiffanyg2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    SC
    Is the baby eating or drinking?? Make sure they are... you may need to take a syringe and feed it through that. Do you have anough warmth on it~ how old is it?? More details may help us give you better responses. Hope he's still doing ok [​IMG]

3. Telamon

May 31, 2010
    I have no idea.
    Well, I opened up his coop to let the sun in to keep him warm, is that a good idea?

4. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    How old is this chick? Is it being raised by a mother hen. Are there other chicks with it? There will be more question once you answer these.

5. Telamon

May 31, 2010
    I have no idea.
    My mom didnt put it with the hen because last time she did, all the chicks died because the mom stepped on them alot.

6. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Quote:How old is the chick? How are you keeping it warm?

7. Telamon

May 31, 2010
    I have no idea.
    I dont know how old it is, but i can tell you its about the size of a small coke can. And we are keeping it warm by ketting the sun get to the chicks every day.

8. nurseshelly

nurseshelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Gilbert AZ
    Quote:Hi,
    You could try dipping it's beak in some gatorade or sugar water to give it a bit of energy. Also put some chick starter close to your chick so he can eat when he wants to. If you are just using sunshine during the day, you probably need to use a heat lamp at night so they don't get too cold. Chicks need a temp of 95 degrees the first week, 90 the next, 85 the next and so on until they get to room temperature. Are they all huddled together? If so they are too cold. If they are panting and staying far away from each other they are too hot. If they are eating and drinking and running around, then the temp is just right.

9. Telamon

May 31, 2010
    I have no idea.
    Quote:Hi,
    You could try dipping it's beak in some gatorade or sugar water to give it a bit of energy. Also put some chick starter close to your chick so he can eat when he wants to. If you are just using sunshine during the day, you probably need to use a heat lamp at night so they don't get too cold. Chicks need a temp of 95 degrees the first week, 90 the next, 85 the next and so on until they get to room temperature. Are they all huddled together? If so they are too cold. If they are panting and staying far away from each other they are too hot. If they are eating and drinking and running around, then the temp is just right.

Thank you! Ill try it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by