1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

i dont want my hen to lay her first egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Johnn, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    I was quite excited for my hen to lay her first eggs she is a cream legbar, she is my favouraite hen shes so tame she follows you round and when my terrier is digging rat hols up she sits picking all the bugs up that come up, any ways the reason i dont want her to is because i keep seeing all these posts about eggs getting stuck and this can not happen to her!

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I have 12 laying hens now, 3 weeks...no issues. If it happens it does, you can't stop the egg laying or any issues....sorry...she will lay eggs.

3. silkymom1986

silkymom1986 The Silkie Villa

Sep 28, 2011
    Byhalia, MS
    Oh I know how you feel, I just read the same thing and I can't even imagine that happening to my babies! I have 3 RIR's and 3 silkies all around 6 months old so they should start laying any time now and I have been so excited about it, but now I am scared something like that will happen!

4. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    id just hate something like that to happen to her she is the friendliest hen ive ever had if your collecting the ehhs she will run through the pop hole climb in the nest box climg out the top of the nest box and sit on my arm

5. FrenchToast

FrenchToast "Draft Apple Ridge" a Bit from Heaven

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
    I wouldn't worry to much about it. Just make sure they get a good balanced layer feed with enought calcium. What you wouldn't want to happen is for the to lay interally, then you have problems. !!

6. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    Quote:i am the one that this just happened to today. i would not care if rosey never laid another egg. the vet said we couldnt eat her eggs for 35 days. i said i dont care about the eggs as long as she gets ok. she still has to get well but the eggs is out. i cried my eyes out. she is my sweetest hen i love her bunches. just hoping maybe she wont lay for at least a week. this was her first egg too.

7. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    im glad you got the egg out! [​IMG]

8. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I had two pullets get egg bound and die in the last couple months and like yours they are very rare so an even bigger loss.
    How old is she?
    My suggestion is like previous posters said, feed a high quality layer if she's 19 weeks or older because I believe the extra calcium helps prevent the condition. You may also think about keeping the birds inside a couple extra hours and covering the windows so they have a shorter day length which would help delay laying.

9. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    well i got her at 16 weeks on the 15th of august

10. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    my hen rosey is 24 will be 25 weeks wed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by