I don't want my parrot but i'm afraid to get rid of her?

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by PizzaBagelPie, Apr 29, 2018.

1. PizzaBagelPie

PizzaBagelPie In the Brooder

Apr 3, 2017
    So I ended up with a jenday conure I never wanted. She belonged to a friends sister who didn't take care of the bird at all. Kept it in the dark in a small filthy cage for over a year on a seed diet, no interaction, no baths, no light, a room full of perfume in a house where someone smoked indoors, and she had a severe eye infection. She's mostly healed now aside from some scarring around her eye and missing feathers and she's become sweet toward me. But she's a menace to the other animals and she's so noisy and messy and needy. I knew parrots were like that already from firsthand experience but I had to get her out of there. I don't regret taking her but I don't want to deal with the bird for another 20 years but i'm afraid of rehoming her. She has a good life with me, but I don't have a good life with her and i'm afraid I'd I were to rehome her. I'm being forced to make too many sacrifices for her wellbeing over my own but i'm afraid that even if I made sure they knew what they were getting into first, the new owners wouldn't take proper care of her or they might neglect her or rehome her again to someone who doesn't know what they're doing. And that scares me. I just need tips on how to safely rehome a parrot and how to make sure she's going to a good forever home

Brahma Chicken5000 likes this.
  2. PizzaBagelPie

Apr 3, 2017
    She also doesn't like ANY other birds. Otherwise It would probably be easier to find her a home with someone who knows their birds. But she must be in a SINGLE bird home.

Brahma Chicken5000 likes this.
  3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Try finding a bird sanctuary Maybe your vet or shelter would know where to find one or google .

4. Sdominique

Sdominique Songster

Mar 18, 2018
    Henry, Tennessee
    There are lots of bird rescue places that are certified and would be more than happy to find her a good home. They are very picky in their application process and home visits so you can be sure that your conure will go to a good home.

5. PizzaBagelPie

Apr 3, 2017
    The problem with that is I want to know where she ends up. I want to personally be able to check in on her and stuff. Going through a rescue wouldn't allow me that

Miss Lydia likes this.
  6. HenniesInMyHeart

HenniesInMyHeart Songster

Mar 12, 2018
    Colorado
    Oh sweetie I have been in your position and GAWD yes conures are loud af! I had Nandays, god help the universe... >.<
    Anyway! Do interviews! Make people apply to adopt her, come up with a list of questions. You can even draw up a contract that they have to agree to x y and z, even send pics or allow visitation x times a month or whatever. You call all the shots here, do it with the best peace of mind and hand-pick a new family. At the very least, make them promise in writing that if things don't work out, they must return her to you. If you both sign it the document is legally an official bill of sale and you can set terms and conditions.
    How to get the word out? Craigslist! Social media! Make flyers and post on supermarket or other community bulletin boards, put in a classified ad...make her a web page...lots of options! I hope this helps! :)

7. Sdominique

Sdominique Songster

Mar 18, 2018
    Henry, Tennessee
    Hennies is totally right. That's the best idea I've heard yet. Very very very true.

Miss Lydia and HenniesInMyHeart like this.
  8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Also put fliers up at your vets office then they can vouch for someone interested in your Conure if a client of theirs.

A lot of sanctuaries keep the birds that have been given up for various reason so there is a big possibility she would go there and no further.

HenniesInMyHeart likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: