I dont want to lose her! (Sick hen)

bridget123

Songster
7 Years
Apr 23, 2016
i have a 3 year old hen naned dorothy,
I noticed about 1 month ago she had lost alot of weight and checked i her poo she had a massive worm in it.
I wormed her and the flock twice, i cleaned all poop out of backyard mowed the lawns and everything seemed fine.
I noticed the other day that dorothy seems to be falling asleep everywhere she goes and somtimes loses balance i noticed she still has not put on weight, she is losing it again she is as light as a feather!!... i have put her in my laundry and i am trying to feed her all the treats she loves but she wont eat much it hurts her to poo she lets out a painful sounding cry.
Her poo is bright yellow and green.
I have checked her cavity to make sure she is not eggbound everything seems fine in there.
I have had a feel around her whole body it all seems normal apart from being so skinny that i can feel her bones.
Shes not sneezing or coughing
Her crop feels empty even after a handfull of mealworms.
Her bum is clean besides from a little bit of yellow crust, i have been putting anti fungal cream on it.
I have given her solvita for extra vitamins, pestine powder incase of mites and i have given her a re hydrating syrup in her water

I dont want to lose her she is my best friend and i dont get money until next week to take her to the vet .. now after this i will be putting money away incase of emergencies! My heart is broken

And im not sure if she has been bullied into not eating i have noticed my big isa brown likes to peck at dorothys beak thats why she has black on the top of her beak. Dorothy is a bantam.
15162375108951170728941.jpg

im sorry your about your chicken. chickens will bullie others and they will stop drinking and eating to the point of the end. ive had this same problem and every time the same fate. you can try talking to her give her all the attention and pet her but if no improvement you might lose her

Thankyou i am beginning to think this is a result of bullying.
I dont understand why she crys out in pain when she poops though, unless thays because she has nothing to poop except that green/yellow im assuming stomach acids.

Sorry Dorothy's not feeling well but you did the right thing separating her. What are you feeding her? Try wetting her feed making it like a mush, some tuna, soak dry cat food, scrambled eggs, plain yogurt, mealworms good ... high protein foods. Not familiar with Solvate, Nutri Drench is Vitamins & Electrolytes is what I've seen readily recommended.

Her crying out when pooping is a concern :fl it maybe some internal problem. Hopefully someone with more experience will be able to help out here.

Thankyou for the advice i really appreciate it, i will go and cook her up some scramled eggs.
At the moment she has had about 10 mealworms and is drinking so atleast thats a good thing that shes eating a little bit and drinking a little.
At the moment im trying to make her as comfortable as i can thats all i can do for now

It has the yellow crust i was talking about, i have been putting anti fungal cream thinking it might possibly be a yeast infection.. i may be wrong maybe you know what it might be.
20180118_175121.jpg

I am not an expert but I'm doing research if it looks inflamed it could be someone pecking her bottom or you could possibly give her banana it might help to give her food she likes mine also like apple cores. Or soak her feed in water to make it easier to eat hope this helps.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom