I dont want to see him go..

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Sneaky Chicken, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Sneaky Chicken

Sneaky Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2016
    The Garden State
    Ive had to get rid of 3 roosters already since Im not actually allowed to have them and each time it gets harder. I cried so hard the last time bc the one rooster was my cuddle buddy and shadow.

My Gold Laced Wyandotte has turned out to be a rooster and while he was a little finicky at first, hes growing into such a sweet, beautiful guy. Hes just starting to crow but Im having a hard time coming to terms with having to get rid of him AND he seems to be pretty bonded with 2 of his "sisters".

While I know that the crowless collars are basically just velcrow collars, are they still safe and humane for the rooster? How well do they work? Will he be "less of a man" if I put one on him. And if I get one and keep him, are fertilized eggs still okay to eat? (that seems like kind of a weird question)

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

I have found that no crow collars vary hugely by individual. Sometimes they don't work at all, other times they work great. They are perfectly safe and humane if fitted correctly and will only affect crowing volume and frequency.

Fertilized eggs are perfectly fine to eat, they'll taste and look the same as any egg. They don't spontaneously start to develop or anything.

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I don't have experience with no-crow collars, so the only thing I'll say about that is do your research. Lots of posts about them with people having both good and bad (sometimes fatal) experiences with them.

I am wondering, though, how you keep ending up with roosters? Buying chicks? You may want to consider buying started pullets in the future, just so you know what you're getting and don't have to go through the heartache of getting rid of yet another rooster.

1 person likes this.
  4. Days poultry

Days poultry Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2016
    I have never heard of them i have the same problem most of my chicks i have bred out are roosters so i know how hard it is to give them away :/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by