1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I drank the coturnix kool-aid

Discussion in 'Quail' started by in2camo, Mar 29, 2017.

1. in2camo

in2camo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2015
    Northern Utah
    I wasn't really planning on another spring project. The kids got two new bunnies and we are brooding eight new hens for the chicken coop, but I was at IFA and they had the cutest mix of two week old coturnix sitting in in their pens and I couldn't resist. I turned the starter bunny cage into a new quail pen and voila, we're quail babysitters! We got a pretty good mix.... 10 in all. A nice brown one, a couple of English whites, three blues (I hear they're pretty rare), a couple of goldens, and even a tuxedo one.

They're already funny little creatures to watch. It should be entertaining to see them grow up. My wife couldn't believe I came home with two boxes of birds. I told her that IFA gets more in on Friday...she just rolled her eyes! :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  2. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Congratulations on your newest additions to the family! Our kids love our quail as they are so easy to handle. And the chicks are adorable.

3. Diesel81

Diesel81 Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2016
    I don't blame you a bit, I love chickens, ducks, and all animals really, but there is just something about quail, that got me hooked. I only have Tibetan's right now, but it wasn't long before I was making plans to add 4-5 more quail hutches, to add different breeds/varieties. The Coturnix have one of the coolest roo calls,IMO, something between a frog and turkey call. lol They are enjoyable to raise, for whatever reason, low maintenance too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by