I dropped an egg and it broke in the incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shyylo, May 27, 2019.

1. shyylo

shyylo Songster

Mar 27, 2013
    I feel simply awful. I was candling for the first time ever. Dropped an egg and it broke all over one side of the incubator tray. I removed all the eggs and washed off the tray and cleaned. I put the eggs back in. The egg I broke was fertile and developing. I could see the embryo. I was in tears. This is my first hatch. I did not wash the eggs. Just wiped one that has a little splatter on it.
    I am so worried now about the others. What if I didn’t clean it all well enough?

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    :hugsI think you have done what you can. Here's hoping your hatch comes out great:fl

3. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Should be ok, unless you drop another one. Don't beat yourself up too bad, we have all done that before...Good luck with your hatch!

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  4. Abriana

Abriana Spicy Sugar Cookie

Apr 26, 2017
    Fools Gold
    :hugs so sorry about your egg. I know the guilty feeling. Just remember that it was an accident—you obviously love your babies! Try to not feel too bad about it :hugs

A good tip for if there is just a crack in a developing egg is paint over it with clear nail polish. I’ve had a developing egg get cracked before and I painted over it with clear nail polish and the chick hatched out just fine.

5. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Crowing

Aug 11, 2016
    KY
    I think that's the fear of all who incubate...and, unfortunately, it's so easily done. :( When I candle, I take all the eggs out and put them in egg cartons (instead of trying to reach into a tabletop incubator and then put them back in), then place them all back in after candling. Will it prevent drops? No, but I think it helps reduce the risk, and I haven't dropped one yet.

As for the eggs that got egg goo on them, I also wouldn't worry much about it - I don't wash hatching eggs prior to setting, and they've had mud, poop, and egg goo on them, and none have exploded or infected others.

6. shyylo

shyylo Songster

Mar 27, 2013
    Thanks everyone. That helps. I will follow up and let you know how the hatch goes. June 9th should be the day.

starri33, Wyorp Rock, 007Sean and 2 others like this.
  7. shyylo

shyylo Songster

Mar 27, 2013
    My brinsea mini 2 advance says 5 more days. When do I lockdown? I saw the eggs wiggle tonight and I am worried because it automatically turns and I will be at work tomorrow. I am afraid if they hatch early it will hurt them. What do I do? 2 silkie eggs and 2 faverolle eggs. Day 17 I guess. Incubator says 5 more days about to switch to 4 more days.

starri33 likes this.
  8. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Crowing

Aug 11, 2016
    KY
    Lockdown is typically at 3 days to hatch, but locking down at 4 days before hatch should be fine - turning isn't as important at this point.

9. shyylo

shyylo Songster

Mar 27, 2013
    thank you.

10. shyylo

shyylo Songster

Mar 27, 2013
    UPDATE: all four eggs hatched. All are well. The silkies are having some troubles walking. Two faverolles and two silkies. One faverolle took over 30 hours. I think it was positioned wrong and there was more blood than the others. However at 14 hours old is doing fine.

ncymst, FoodFreedomNow and Wyorp Rock like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: