I dropped an egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Whimsy, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Whimsy

Whimsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Cecilia KY
    I am on day 18 and last night as I picked Winnie up to see how things were doing. Actually to take the other hens eggs away, she must have had an egg stuck to her. Any hoo I held her for a bit and suddenly the egg fell out!!! Do you think I have killed the egg/chick? There was no crack after the egg dropped so I put it back under her. I haven't candled any because the are BCM's and way too dark

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    If you are sure it didn't have a crack in it, it should be fine. I'm able to see n my marans eggs. I have a cool touch candler. Was it stuck to her or under her wings? My hen just hatched 4 out of 5 Blue Marans. She did better then the incubator. I got 1 out of 5. Mother hens know best. Good Luck Michele

3. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    Quote:X2

4. Whimsy

Whimsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Cecilia KY
    Quote:X2

It was tucked up somewhere, there is lots of straw on the floor and their shells are really hard. Oh well [​IMG]

5. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    [​IMG]

6. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    It will probably be fine. I have a broody right now setting on eggs due to hatch this weekend. When one of her eggs was about 10 days into incubation she stepped on it and there was a crack in it. I melted candle wax on it and its still going. I sure hope that one hatches.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by