I dubbed him

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by funonahonda, Dec 27, 2008.

1. funonahonda

funonahonda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Central Ohio
    It felt like he was one of my kids and I was all shaking and nervous, he kept bleeding so I had to keep putting flour on his comb ,man you just don't know I feel so bad, I even have to do his waddles after his comb heals. I had to put him in the garage for the night because when I put him back in the coop with the others he was rubbing his head on all of them and it started bleeding again.[​IMG]:hit

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Best of luck. If the garage is "cold" his comb won't bleed so much b/c of reduced blood flow.

3. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Awww... [​IMG] Hang in there!

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    aw!..that must have been so hard!....was he frostbitten?...its better then him being in pain from that..so you did the right thing!.....i have a couple of suspect combs i am keeping an eye on also...i dread having to this also....[​IMG]...my thoughts are with you and the roo!...[​IMG]..

5. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    OMG I am watching my roo's wattles with worry, what made you decide to dub his comb? I know they can get infected if they go necrotic, but am afraid I wouldn't know.... how did you know?

6. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Necrotic tissue isn't subtle. It's black, peeley/flakey and often smelly.
    funonahonda, you have my sympathy and respect. A necrotic infection is a horrible, painful way to die. The dubbing will be forgotten in a matter of hours. Heck, it may have been more painful for you than the bird.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  7. funonahonda

Apr 12, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Thanks for all the kind words from everyone, it was really hard to put myself to do it but, I had to do it to save my rooster that the family loves, but I have to go through it again when I do his waddles.

8. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    I noticed today my roo has 2 black tips on his comb and so does one of the RIR hens, just the very itty bitty tip. Should I still take it off?

9. Poohbear

Poohbear On a Time Out

Nov 12, 2008
    Texas
    You'll be glad you dubbed him in the morning when you look and see he is fine. They scab over and will heal with a beautiful, red comb. Now he can tuck his head under his wing at night and stay warm. GOOD JOB!

10. funonahonda

Apr 12, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Will the blood on his feathers go away or will I have to clean him off?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by