I duct taped my chicken!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrie Mac

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 17, 2011
I've read in this forum that a number of people recommended putting duct tape over the area where other chickens are plucking out the feathers. Well I did that and now I'm concerned about the hen. Is this safe? I put it on her chest area and some below her vent (she can still move, jump, fly), but it bothers her a lot- will she get used to it? If I have to remove....how do I do it? She wasn't completely bare - still had down. I feel bad for her -hope I didn't blow it and make the situation worse!!

The other hens at first pecked at it but soon lost interest, but the main "plucker" went above the tape - though just in passing.

Please advise!

I know that duct tape is supposed to solve most any situation, but I must admit your hen looks pretty uncomfortable. She can move, but it probably still pulls. To loosen the adhesive of the duct tape, maybe rubbing some vegetable oil around the edges of the duct tape would help.

For future reference, I like a product called Blue Kote to help reduce pecking. It may not prevent the most determined "plucker" but it reduces the tempting sight of bare skin by covering it with a blue pigment and it is an antiseptic.

Ouch.. that looks like it's gonna be a rough removal..

I think I would try to get it off as soon as possible and come up with a new plan. At the very least I think it would pull out any new feathers that might regrow before you remove it.

Thankfully I removed the tape and she didn't even flinch. She is used to being pecked at and just puts up with it. I'm as relieved as she is. Wonder why people recommend duct tape?

Not sure if bluekote will work on her since she isn't bare - yet.

How can I break my plucking hen from eating feathers? I don't want to get rid of her if I can help it. She is a great pet, just has a feather fetish for one particular hen.

Duct tape has often come up in the past for use in numerous situations. First rule is not to believe that every single idea presented on these forums has merit or is a good idea. About the only legitimate use I've run across for duct tape being used on chickens is if you're trying to keep a bandage in place, and then it's only useful on non-feathered areas. And even then, vet wrap is a much better product to use than duct tape.

I participated in this thread awhile back. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/531945/duct-tape-saddles-i-want-to-hear-more I thought, "duct tape saddles"? Ummm, might just work. So I experimented. I didn't think duct tape would work directly on feathered areas, and I was more right than I had thought. Designing a "neck saddle" for my hen was hard enough on her using a soft material under the duct tape. Anywhere the tape touched, it stuck hopelessly to her feathers. Getting it unstuck was so hard, I threw the whole project away.

My conclusion: duct tape is great, but not on chickens!

I am so relieved you were able to get that stuff off her!

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a hen pull feathers from another hen about two weeks ago. I sprayed the injured hen with blu kote and removed the aggressive hen for 5 days. They have been happy since reintroducing her. Make sure they are getting enough protein and calcium and have enough distractions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom