I dug the grave

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by truckerswife, Aug 10, 2008.

1. truckerswife

truckerswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    I have a Polish that is acting goofy. She started with a droopy wing this morning. She will only eat melon. No feed, no yogurt. I check on her this afternoon and she is on her back with feet in the air. I thought she was dead. Still alive but barely moving, she is gasping for air and has shallow breathing. I cuddle her in a towel for over an hour. She could only open one eye, so I dig her grave so I dont need to do it in the dark.

I make her comfy and I go inside to make dinner. About 30 minutes later I go outside to check her /bury her. She is sitting up !!!!!!!!! I take her out of the tractor she is walking around and ate her melon! Wing still droopy.

How can a chicken go from so near death I dig her grave to sitting up, walking around, eating her melon in just 30 minutes?

I am baffled .... I am very happy she is doing better but I cant believe it. I have never seen anything like it.

Any ideas?

2. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    I had one do that, she finally died a day later. I could never figure out what happened, I figured she got hit on the head or something like that. [​IMG]

3. truckerswife

Aug 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    Could it be Marek's?

4. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Maybe she ate something that messed her system up for a while. I have read people post similar situations. My mother had a cat eat a toad once that had her foaming at the mouth and sick as can be........she thought the cat would die......but she was fine. I hope your girl is going to be a happy ending story [​IMG]

5. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Was she overheated while outside?

-Kim

6. Gazinga

Gazinga Chook Norris

sounds like overheating to me

7. truckerswife

Aug 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    Not overheating. Only 75 degrees for our high today in my corner of the Pacific NW.

8. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    wouldn't hurt to check her crop and make sure it isn't impacted..

9. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Check for lice,mites and worms, they can put a lot of stress on a chicken and make them very weak from the loss of blood etc. Give some electrolites and some mashed up chicken starter/water to intise her to eat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by