I dunno what im looking at !

aran

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 28, 2007
rochester ny
Hi all...well the 11 bearded silkie eggs which I was lucky enough to be able to buy off napalongtails are now on day 4 in the incubator. I have never done any of this before so I read the learning center articles here on candling at day 3. I think all but one of the eggs that I checked ( i gave up after about 6 eggs because I realised i dont know what im looking at) has a "shadow/mass/thing" about the size of a quarter which seems to rotate around the egg to stay in the middle of the light as i turn the egg. Sort of like dolls eyes when you turn the head, they stay in the middle. One of the eggs out of the 5 or 6 i looked at was just clear other than having a larger than the other's air cell. What the heck am i looking at? I was expecting to see a couple of little wee veins.

Aran I sent you an e-mail with the other info and this. But in answer to your ? here. The one that is floating I believe we in the shipping of eggs club call that a diplaced air cell or a scrammbled. Not sure why one would have a larger air cell than the others as they were all shipped as fresh as possible but that one could have been the first of the 11 that were layed and collected it might well still grow. As eggs get older the aircell enlarges. And as justusnak said "wait". I discribed in my
e-mail what you will see in a few more days. TTYL J.J.

thank you so much guys...i will sit tight and see what happens later next week!

I was not trying to be super eager by candling at day 4, i just read the article in the learning center and thought i was supposed to look at em already!

Hey Aran, I was having problems figuring out what I was looking at also. At first I thought I had 9 infertile eggs. Then I saw movement in 2, then 6, now 8. I have very dark brown eggs and it is hard to see, but on day 8 I could see real good. I had to learn to be patient. My daughter and I still candle them each day to see the progress. I find it very interesting having never done this before.

yeah its all your fault mate!!!!!! I was inspired by your candling efforts! JK!
I will be patient and do nothing until day 8-10 and see where we are at then.

Boy this is sure fun!

sad.png
I'm sorry.....
wink.png

july 10th is hatch day theoretically. We will see. If this doesnt work its not the end of the world...we have 3 roos ( chicks) and 21 pullets so we will get the opportunity to hatch our own eggs in a few months. I think of the breeds we have, the prettiest and calmest birds we have are the silver spangled hamburgs...i will probably separate them out and let them pure breed once they are old enough so I can hatch out more of em.

I can never tell by day three I make myself wait till day 7 at least. But I don't get rid of any till half way through. Its clear then which ones didn't develop. Crystal

Last edited:
Aran- we have a silver spangled Hamburg 2 yr old Roo and he is the meanest thing I've ever seen. He has attacked us so many times he's living on the outside now....out in the big backyard and not penned up anymore with his 3 hens. I ordered 50+ chicks from MM in early April and now see who's who-I got 3 roos and 2 hens out of the 5 SS hamburgs they sent me (and they were all supposed to be part of the Rainbow egg layers collection.) So I will be rehoming the 3 roos soon.... where do you live? Or does anyone live close to NJ or Eastern PA who would want to take these in for a trade of something?
I know I don't want anymore SSH roos. They are beautiful, just too flighty for me. Anyone related to the leghorn can be like that the lady from MM told me on the phone...Let me know if anyone wants these 3 young boys-they are about 3 months old...
Lisa

Back
Top Bottom