I dyed my eggs tonight! - UPDATED!! They're Hatching!! *GRAPHIC PIC*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lach Cnoc Farm, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Lach Cnoc Farm

Lach Cnoc Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Western Washington
    I dyed my eggs tonight! This is my very first attempt at doing this, i really hope it works. I sterilized, cleaned and was as careful as i possibly could have been. I can' wait to check on them in a few days, i really hope they all hatch, i cant wait! [​IMG]

Has anyone else ever dyed eggs before? How did your hatches turn out?

Also, while i was candling them tonight i found a double yolker! one of my leg horn girls gave me twins, nice, happy, swimmy twins, i'm super excited to see what comes of this egg, never had a double yolker before!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  2. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    What did you use for pigment? I've read how to do this, but I don't remember what they said to use for color. Is this for group identification purposes?

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Good luck.

Most dye jobs for fun are done post hatch because of the risk of infection and hitting key things like veins. In lab settings.. it's a bit different.

4. MRW

MRW Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    Gales Ferry, CT
    I had actually looked up how to do this myself, but had no idea where to get a needle....any ideas? I did read that food coloring could be used. Is that what you used? How old are the eggs?

5. Lach Cnoc Farm

Apr 16, 2009
    Western Washington
    I did use food color for dye. The eggs i did were from day 11-13 into incubation. I had a friend give me an antique vet bag a while back, full of all sorts of stuff, including NEW, UNOPENED needles. I of course sterilized them again to make sure everything was clean.

I did not do it for ID purposes. But if this goes well I might use it for that in the future, these are just mutt eggs from my own birds I thought i would try it on. I know it's risky but, I hope at least a couple of them hatch. I'm excited to see the progress after tonight..if any.

ETA: Oops... I just realized i dyed my 3 freebie call duck eggs...theyre still very active...wonder how that's gonna turn out? 2 pinks and a blue, lol. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  6. MRW

Feb 21, 2008
    Gales Ferry, CT
    Good Luck:) Make sure to post some pics!

7. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    In my state, you can get new needles and syringes at any farm and livestock supply store, such as TSC. If you candle for the clear, fluid filled lower portion of the egg, the risk of hitting a vein is small, and the risk of piercing one even smaller. I was a phlebotomist for many years, a vein can be hard to enter on purpose, in solid flesh, unless you anchor it properly. In fluid, it would more likely just slide aside.

Are there even any veins in the small end of the egg a that stage? I wouldn't think so, because the chicks body is pretty well formed by then. The needle only goes into the egg just barely past the membrane, (if you do it right) and never even comes close to touching the chick. Inject a tiny amount of color, withdraw, seal the spot with candle wax, and stick it back into the incubator. The chick wouldn't feel anything, except maybe movement, from the egg being handled, just like when you candle.

If everything's kept sterile and clean, they should be fine.

8. Lach Cnoc Farm

Apr 16, 2009
    Western Washington
    thanks dancingbear, that makes me so much more hopeful for a good outcome. I just checked them all a few minutes ago, that's when i realized i accidentally did the duck eggs too. the ducks are still moving good, but the chickens are a little harder to see, almost like the dye adsorbed into them quicker..? I'll check again in a few days. I practiced on a raw egg first to get my "hole making" technique down. [​IMG]

ETA: I did candle before dying, I didnt see any veins down low at all, just up high by the squirmy little speck babies [​IMG].

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  9. MRW

Feb 21, 2008
    Gales Ferry, CT
    Thanks, I actually put some white silkies in the bator tonite....been wanting to try the dye thing. Maybe I'll see if there's an on-line store that has some? Never heard of a "TSC".

10. Lach Cnoc Farm

Apr 16, 2009
    Western Washington
    I think its Tractor Supply Company. We don't have them here in WA either, just Dels, King Feed, and some local feed stores. I think Dels & Kings Feed might carry them though, I know they sell puppy vaccinations.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by