I edit the titel not to hurt anyone's feeling

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Omran, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Hey Everybody, I learned my Lesson the very hard and expensive way and I don't want anyone else to make the same mistake I did.
    Last year I bought 15 pullets about 4 weeks old from a local guy who hatch them in his incubator, evry thing seemed fine , and all the sudden one got sick, I took it to the vet and the vet said oh it might hurt itself by an accident, so I said that's ok things happen, then a month later another one start to sit and walk funny, so I took it inside and tried to take care of her the best I can and with all the care she never got any better so I culled her not to let her suffer, a week ago another one start doing he same. and I swear that my coop is clean and fresh water and food provided every day, coop is real worm and cuzy. So yesterday I took 4 of them to the University of KY to the Agriculture dep and they are doing necropsy on all of them, see the bad knews is if they have some (merk) desis that means I have to cull all this flock and I am worry to death now that my first flock which are in another coop, will not have that. the thing is only hatcheries are requiared by the USDA to vaccinate birds, but not individuals, so I am praying that my birds don't have any carrier and waiting for the results, but I sewar I will never buy from that guy ever again and if I want some new breeds I just have to get them from hatchery and take my time to rais them.
    please pray for my birds to be healthy:fl [​IMG] [​IMG]

I edit my subject because I think I made some friends on BYC mad at me
    so I am sorry if I offended anyone.

THANK YOU.

Omran

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  2. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    Oh, Omran, this is such bad news.

I hope this guy is not out there still selling these infected chickens.

3. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Did you call him to let him know what the vets found out? Perhaps he doesn't know the chicks are infected.

4. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    i didnt think mereks showed up untill they were a year old

5. Omran

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Mojo Chick'n :

Did you call him to let him know what the vets found out? Perhaps he doesn't know the chicks are infected.

well I called the dignostic center today and they told me that I have to wait till they find exactly what is going on, and I will sure tell him about the results when I know something.
    I am glad that the Uni of KY did not charge me any thing for the tests.​

6. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    You do realize that it's possible they didn't come with Marek's and picked it up from the environment, right? I wouldn't condemn the guy just b/c those birds got sick, since his others could be fine. I'm not saying it didn't come from there, but I would hate for someone to say things like that about me if that wasn't the case. Just food for thought...

7. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    It's not the breeder's fault. Mareck's Disease is found in the SOIL EVERYWHERE. It can't be controlled seeing as it's safe to assume that every chicken that breathes has the virus. Only certain birds succumb to its symptoms. Symptoms are stress induced or caused by a genetic suceptability. You won't have to cull your entire flock. Don't jump to such drastic measures.

8. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    How can you be sure this guy sold you sick birds when you don't have the test results yet to even know what they have?

There are many diseases that can be contracted from the environment or from contact from wild birds and other animals, no matter how clean your coop & run are.

9. Omran

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:you are absolutly right I am not saying that it is his mistake all what I am trying to say that hatcheries do vaccinate by law, and most individuals don't. and I don't know yet if they have (merk) or not I am still waiting for results.

10. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    It's true that most individuals don't vaccinate, but you could have bought the vaccine and done it yourself if you wanted to. [​IMG]

ETA: And hatcheries aren't required to vaccinate...they only do it if you ask them to and pay extra for it.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by