I fear my Maran eggs are duds :(

Sierra pachie bars

Queen of the Lost
11 Years
Nov 8, 2008
My eggs are hatching , but marans are showing nothing yet. Today is day 21. I candled one Maran egg and it lit up although dark I couldnt see thru it or anything. But knowing a chick at this stage would take up all the egg it shouldn't have lit up like it did.
So I took it out and sure enough no chick at all in it.
I am so afraid they are duds. I know everything has been good temp and humity wise because other eggs from my friend are hatching very well. I think I might cry.

I know how sad moments like this are!!!

It wouldn't be unusual for them to hatch on day 22 or even 23.
When I am hatching Marans and something else, it seems like my marans generally hatch towards the end of the hatch.

YOu might quickly candle the rest.... if they are "clear" then probably you have no chicks.
...or ... just wait a few more days to know for sure.

so... sorry!

Last edited:
Oh ouch I know the felling some thing happend here with Black Copper
Maran eggs we spent a lot on, silly me next time I trade LOL

Give yours a few more days I hope you get a surprise!
smile.png
I always wait 4 days after hatch to make sure. Good Luck!

I even went and hand picked up the eggs !! So no shipping trama. I paid 70.00 for 6 eggs. One of which was a dud for sure. I am praying very hard for others to hatch.

Sometimes my copper black marans pip and hatch a day later than other breeds, so don't give up until day 25 or so.... sorry about the one dud, good luck with the rest. I had five hatch out of my first six eggs I bought and it was enough to kick start me... Crossing my finges you get at least a pair, or better even a trio.

Back
Top Bottom