I feel ashamed...

SkyWarrior

Songster
9 Years
Apr 2, 2010
Wilds of Montana
I read these posts about people and their broody hens, and feel as though I wear a scarlet letter, announcing to the world the terrible truth:

I have no broody hens.

Yes, while those of you cluck and preen over your hens' obvious broodiness, I look at my hens and they give me the stink-eye.

"You want to sit on your eggs..." I say, using my Jedi powers.
"Rawawaak!" my hen says and pecks if I get too close.
Ah hah! I think. She's gone broody.

Then, she lays her egg and leaves the nest, never to return.

Was it something I said? Did I raise my chicks wrong? Do they need counseling? (Do I need counseling?) Is it Sid the llama? The geese next door? What?

I am so ashamed.

Quote:
Oh sure, rub it in!
wink.png

I have: EEs, BO, BRs, RIRs, BBSM, BSO, BSL. Sigh. You'd think the Orps or the EEs would sit, but no.....

LMAO. Funny post! I know what you mean though, as I was three years into chicken keeping before I got a broody bird.

Maybe you need to select a broody breed to increase your chances. If you don't fancy Silkies, try Cochins.

Now that made me giggle!!! We have SLW, and they have NEVER gone broody either. Pffftttttt.........dang chickens. And they would obviously have to be fertile if I were to judge by the nakedness of the hens' backs'.
D.gif

Or Brahmas.....every one of my 7 went broody this summer.....4 at a time. I had to ration eggs as I don't want a population explosion.

X.x I have a frizzel who's Queen of the flock and she is about 2 years old. She does not lay eggs but out of the blue went broody. Its a mess shes a whole 7 inches tall (on her tip toes) and shes hording ALL of the eggs my Goldstars, BA, and the other random breeds I have. I found 13 under her featherless butt. My girls are so messed up because my frizzel kicks them out of the nest boxes I find eggs all over the place! I would so let you borrow her to show your gals a thing or two.
(more history behind my adopted frizzel (and pics) posted in the stories area under "in the red corner")

You can get a super broody (silkie), broodiness is contagious... lol

Are you leaving the eggs alone or are you taking them once you see them leave? If you let some eggs pile up it may increase your chances because most birds wait until they feel they have a decent clutch before they start to incubate, that is if they are in a comfortable enough environment to hatch babies ie: weather, space, privacy, etc..
It may work.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom