I feel bad for my friends budgie/lorikeet/whatever it is

Leader Bee

Songster
Jun 22, 2018
My friend is quite impulsive and because I've now got a pair of geese he has to compete and of course get a bird - I own my own house and have a whole garden the geese can be out in - he rents from a landlord and lives in a small one bedroom flat with no garden so wants something he can keep indoors; I did years of research before committing to a pair of goslings and I know a budgie isn't a goose but I think I know enough about birds now to know they won't be happy alone, I have tried to convince him to at the very least get a pair so they are not lonely but he said it's fine "I'll leave the cage open so he can fly around indoors" or he will get a mirror for it...I don't think that's remotely fair on the bird and I think he thinks it will imprint on him the same way so "it won't need anyone else" it just sounds selfish to me and I'm quite angry - help me change my mind, I feel sorry for the solitary life his poor birdie is going to have! 😭😭

Goosebaby

Crowing
Nov 10, 2019
Northern California
I wish I could reassure you, but honestly the bird needs better.

If it helps tell him this:
Birds are social creatures and it will overbond with him being the only living thing it sees and be devastated every time he leaves. Very few birds are actually solitary, the majority of species group in flocks if either two to hundreds not just for companionship but for survival. Being alone causes enormous stress and anxiety which will lead to psychological disorders and illness.

I suppose you could also try to convince him by trying to educate him by giving him real examples, there are groups on Facebook that are parrot rescue groups and parrot rescue profiles on instagram like Happy Wings Sanctuary or 4loveofmyfids that make posts about what some of their birds have been through, physical and psychological trauma, nutritional problems and so on.
It hopefully will open his eyes to the pain he is inflicting on the little bird.

Leader Bee

Songster
Jun 22, 2018
Luckily he doesn't have it yet, it's apparently on quarantine from Australia so not only will it be alone but it will be stressed after a long trip after being taken from its family 😢

Best I can do is try to convince him to get it a friend. I'd never even get just one dog, I always try and rationalise it like this....what if I was somehow forced to live with a Japanese family, in Japan, an entirely different culture and I don't understand the language, plus I'm forced to stay in my room...I'd feel so isolated

Top Bottom