I feel bad for the other breeds...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by WallTenters, May 14, 2011.

1. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    I always feel bad. I give little cockroach treats to the chickies, and I also give them stinkbugs if I find them (there have been a lot this year). Sadly, we have a mix of chicks - mostly Dominiques, a few Orpingtons and Orp Xs, a few Marans Xs and some Americaunas. The Dominiques ALWAYS get the treat. Always. Poor other chickies never stand a chance! Those doms are just ferocious predators - they jump on the food so much faster and they just bully their way around...

Part of me wants to seperate off the poor little Americauna chicks - they are of course the smallest (being the lightest breed - especially compared to the little Orpington tanks) so I feel like they're getting the short end of the stick!!!

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

They'll catch up on the game I'm sure. My scrawny little White Leghorn hens rule the foraging game. FWIW my Marans aren't much for foraging or even eating worms that I give right to them, not sure why? Maybe it's in their genes [​IMG]

3. mrszlopez

mrszlopez Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    I usually hold off the more aggressive treat eaters, give them a lecture on how to share, and make sure everyone gets a treat [​IMG] maybe they will get the hang of how to work their way around the Doms !

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I'm not sure if this is the same for cockroaches, but I know wood roaches pass on the mansini eye worm to birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by