I feel guilty taking my hens eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bncranch, Oct 14, 2013.

1. bncranch

bncranch Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2013
    Naples, FL
    I have 2 roos and 7 hens. They are all young and approaching laying age. One hen has begun laying. She lays one, skips aday, then has laid for 3 days consecutive, my guess is she will skip tomorrow because she layed it late afternoon. But I feel guilty taking the eggs as soon as she lsys them. Is this correct procedure or should I let her lay a few b4 robbing the nest! Sorry im a rookie and just wondering?

2. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    I would leave the eggs there and collect them at the end of every day. Hens are encouraged to lay if there's already an egg in the nest. But don't feel guilty! :)

3. katbriar

katbriar Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2012
    Northern New Mexico
    You can collect them every day and it will be fine with the hens. They won't hold it against you. And they don't count.

Their natural instinct is to lay every day until they get "enough" (number can vary) and then they would stop laying, sit and incubate the clutch. Not all hens go broody, but allowing them to lay several before you collect would probably increase the likelihood they would. And you want them to keep giving you all the eggs they can, right? ;-)

4. bncranch

bncranch Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2013
    Naples, FL
    Yes I want them to continue laying and thay was why I was ssking, but was afraid I was stressing them out by taking the eggs every day

5. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    No you won't stress them out, but they won't like you taking the eggs if they're broody!

6. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    I seriously doubt that your hens have a guilty conscience about accepting your chicken feed under false pretenses, so you shouldn't feel bad over harvesting a few cackle berries. At any rate regardless of what Tyson Food Ads suggest, chickens do not have fingers so they can't count up on their hands how many eggs they already have in their nest. Help your self.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by