I feel horrible...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AilsVonHelson, Dec 27, 2008.

1. AilsVonHelson

AilsVonHelson Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    Orlando, FL.
    [​IMG] We bought a new goose today, we were planning on buying the pair, but one had a bad eye so we agreed on buying another adult next weekend when they had healthier specimens, well, they were kept in crowded facilities, now this goose is free-range and hangs out with our ducks, but she screams looking around for her old mate. [​IMG]

Darn it, she's not even used to being outside! We just got some midnight rain and i hear her yelling , probably because she's never been out doors. Poor dear. Hopefully the ducks or sheep wll show her the ropes of "free" life.

Oh dear.

Our property does link to our neighbours, who has 2 geese and we get along great with them, so I wouldn't be surprised if our goose went over and began living with them.

I'll keep you posted on how she warms up to her new living arrangement.

Edited because i can't spell. :]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Poor thing. [​IMG] It took our goat a month before he stopped calling for his sister and mom.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  3. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Go back and get the other.... I would.

4. AilsVonHelson

Nov 2, 2008
    Orlando, FL.
    We are seriously considering it, but right now we're no sure if it's even alive. (Most places kill sick animals here...) We might check tomrrow, but we on't know. We are however gonna get another goose. Probably from a breeder. A dewlap Toulouse. [​IMG]

5. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator~~~ BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I agree, try to get the buddy goose. It will make yours much happier. The other goose is probably just as unhappy.
    Geese get strongly attached to each other, especially if raised together.

6. AilsVonHelson

Nov 2, 2008
    Orlando, FL.
    We just got back from the feed store. An old lady came in and picked up the other goose over night. Turns ot her flock was attacked by a dog and one of hers died.

our goose is getting along fine now, sill a bit confuzzled at wet grass, the sheep let her tag along and the ducks have let her follow them.

We're hoping she sees the neighbours geese and goes over there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by