I Feel Horrible..

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mrszlopez, May 12, 2009.

1. mrszlopez

mrszlopez Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    Well, today i went to go grab an egg from under my brooding Silkie hen to see if they were fertilized. On my way to grab the flashlight & head into the bathroom, my toddler bumped my arm & i dropped the egg... No need for candeling methods now.. there was a baby in the egg. I feel so horrible. I feel like a murderer !!! I know some of you guys on here feel differently about culling & eating the chickens, but mine are my family & ive never killed any of mine. I am horribly upset & just want to cry. But on another note - i have no idea how her eggs are fertilized or any of the other hens. Theyre all supposed to be silkie hens !! ive been getting about 6 eggs a day to my 7 "hens".. so maybe i have a roo in there & just dont know it ?? But the other day, their cage door mysteriously opened & they were hanging out with my Turken rooster & my rhode island red X rooster.... i dont know. but im still very sad !! [​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    A rooster of any breed can fertilize the eggs of a hen of any breed, and it can be tricky to be sure of the sex of a silkie, so, no telling. If they were sexed at birth, about one of ten will be sexed incorrectly; it is not an exact science.

3. annanicole18

annanicole18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    awe it will be ok. i heard they can keep the rooster juice lol for a few weeks so you could have more babies even without planning on it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by