1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I feel horrible!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by pringle, Dec 30, 2009.

1. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    2 weeks ago my poor oegb roo died from old age.Next after school my favorite chicken filis who was a bantam polish turned up missing and now my baby blue cochin chick died from somthing.And my poor araucana chick is left all alone.And this last summer my 3 ducks went out to the pond in back and never returned the next day!Im thinking I should just give away all my poultry to a better owner.

2. Sooner

Sooner My kids Mom!

Mar 22, 2009
    Oklahoma
    How about finding out what is getting them & what made them sick. Unless if you really don't enjoy them, then by all means re-home your last one.

3. AmyBella

AmyBella Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Western MA
    I'm sorry! [​IMG] That is a lot to deal with all at once!

When things are going wrong I feel like giving up on chickens too! You are not a bad owner. You are here, you obviously care a lot about your birds. I agree that you should do what you can to make sure that the flock is safe and healthy. Do they free range? If so, predators are going to get some of them... I think that is just a fact of life and nothing to beat yourself up about. If something is getting them in their coop and run, be sure to do what you can to beef up security!

I hope things get better soon!

4. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Quote:I second that! If you want to keep going with poultry, maybe you could build a secure run, and get a chick to keep your last one company.

5. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    I do have a protective run but for one day I decided to let them run around while I was at home.But she never came back.Now my remaining 2 are being kept in the run all day.

6. bethsplace

bethsplace Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    when i lived at home we never could keep ducks something always ate them! except one muskvoy male who was to mean to get eaten! I cant let mine out neither dogs or coyotes would get them. I hate it they want out so bad now that its winter.

7. Taylor

Taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    what I woul do is get rid of all of them and start fresh. I had to start fresh at 1 time because sickness wiped out all of them, NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by