I feel horribly guilty

coloradochick

Songster
12 Years
Dec 19, 2007
Brighton, CO
hit.gif

I looked out my kitchen window and see this car pulled up into our unfenced back yard. We park out there sometimes but come on it's OUR yard. Anyways, I walk out with a look of
somad.gif
can I help you? He asks if I have eggs, "yeah I've got eggs" "can I buy some" "sure $3 a doz" "I'll take 2" I run in get the eggs come out and he asks if I ever sell my chickens. I say no. He asks if I'd sell him one of my Austrolorps. I hem and haw. "How much are you wanting to give me?" (I don't want to get rid of my girls but we need money) Well, I sold him one of my girls for only $5 !!!! I didn't want to get rid of her but.... I asked him if she would be a pet or food he said oh a pet for sure. I hope so. I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes thinking I just sentenced one of my girls to her death. Who knows she could be going to a great home but I'll never know. I feel so guilty! Plus I sold her for way too little! I hate being put on the spot and I need to get more firm about my things like this.
sad.png

If it will make you feel better, I think I would have done the same thing if caught 'off-guard'. If he bought eggs my bet is she will be around to lay eggs for him.
wink.png
Now, the next time it happens you will be better prepared and if he were to come back charge him more and tell him why.

I'm sorry for you. I'd feel the same way. BUT - I couldn't do it. In time you'll feel better, try not to feel guilty. Did he seem like a nice person? He got a good deal on her and maybe he's interested in starting the chicken thing like all of us! Then he can start getting his own eggs! What kind of chook is she?

He said he has chickens at his folks house that live about an hour's drive from us and that's where he was headed. Said he had some game hens and a Polish roo that he'd give me. But I really don't want another roo or games for that matter so I took the $5 instead. Said he has too many roos. He seemed like a nice man, I don't think his are laying yet. I hate that I get so attached to my animals like this
hmm.png
I just hope she's ok.

eta She was one of my Blck Austros she'll be a year old on the 18th if this month.

Last edited:
Try not to feel bad. Did he handle her alright? Maybe he'll be by again and you can find out. I know how you feel about being attached, that's why I couldn't do it. I understand what you had to do though. Economy sucks.

Don't feel bad...However have a plan for next time this happens. Know how much you want to sell them for when asked. $5 is really too cheap.

I think he'll give her a good home.

Thanks guys, you've made me feel a little less guilty. I guess I just have to think the best thoughts. And I think next time I'll just flat out say "Nope, not sellin my girls" but you can buy some eggs
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom