I feel like a bad chicken owner!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by debster1556, Aug 14, 2014.

1. debster1556

debster1556 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2014
    This...... After treating it twice daily for weeks. Have been trying to let it out with the adults when we're at work for a couple days and they were starting to look better. But I come home to this. I soaked both feet in warm water and put neosporin on the bottoms and it's back in the bathroom home. I'm starting to wonder if we should cull?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Stiggy

Stiggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    It kinda looks like a fungel infection, almost like athletes foot. I would try putting an antibiotic cream for fungel infections on its foot after giving it a soak. also bandage the feet up so they don't get dirty

3. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    Have you been doing soaks and Neosporin twice daily for these weeks? If so, sounds like its time for a different treatment approach :) I don't like Neosporin for animal treatment anyway. I have seen too many cases go badly with it. If it's fungal, you need to dry it out....maybe gentian violet or blue kote? Gentian violet is used to treat thrush and fungal infections. it is one of the ingredients in blue kote.

4. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    oh, and don't feel like a bad chicken owner! Treating your chook twice daily for weeks does NOT sound like a bad anything owner ;)

5. debster1556

debster1556 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2014
    The first couple of weeks we were treating with lamisil and betadine. Didn't really work. I used Neosporin when it gets really bad.

My vet maybe a iron deficiency. So did that and switched from chick starter to layer feed. I also give vitamins. She eats really well.
    Very also have us povoiodine. I think I might try daily soaks and lamisil. And try to get it totally 100% before letting her go back outside.

It's driving me crazy I wish I knew what it was And what to do about it.

6. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    yikes, that is some SERIOUS treating. Hm, if the lamisil helps, I would agree with you, and not let the little one back outside till its gone...if iron deficiency is a concern, you could always feed beef liver...that would be a huge protein and iron boost. If its a fungus, it sounds super resistant :/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by