I feel like a kid on Christmas morning!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by de kippendame, Apr 20, 2012.

1. de kippendame

de kippendame Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2011
    South Central IA
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Ok, so this is our first time with hatching eggs, we got our first batch of chicks in the mail last spring so this is all new! We have a sweet Colombian Wy. who decided she wanted to be a mommy so we gave her some eggs 3 weeks ago. My boys were so excited to go out this morning before school to see if anything was happening yet but we didn't see anything. We gave them to her on a Friday night so I thought maybe we wouldn't see anything until tomorrow or maybe Sunday.

I went out when I got home from dropping them off at school to do my normal chores and see if Harriet(the broody) wanted out. She came out while I was filling a feeder and when I went to put the bag away(which is in the part of the coop where she is nesting), I heard peeps!!![​IMG] It took a few seconds for me to realize what I was hearing!! When I looked closer, 4 of the 11 have cracks so far. From my candling, I think only 10 have the potential to hatch, so we'll see! Oh this is so exciting!! I only wish the boys home from school to be able to see it too!! I don't think I'm gonna get much housework done today![​IMG]

Sorry, I'm sure this is old hat to many of you, but its just so exciting, I had to share!

[​IMG]

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    How exciting! [​IMG]

3. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    nothing better than Christmas in April....lol.....Congrat's and will watch for pics of the chicks

4. de kippendame

de kippendame Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2011
    South Central IA
    There were 4 hatched out when I went to bed last night and 3 that looked close. I woke up this AM to 8 lively little fuzz butts out of the 11. One RIR egg has some chirping in it, the EE egg is the one I'm pretty sure died a couple weeks ago, and a Buff Orpington that might be a day or two behind from being pushed too far to the side early in the process.

So far we have added 3 Buff Orps., 2 RIRs, 2 EE (all ordered eggs) and one of our own eggs from a RIR roo and a Barred Rock hen...it is a roo...

This is a picture from this morning. There are 8 little fuzzies snuggling in there!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Awesome pic.....thanks for sharing. [​IMG]

6. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    Yay! Congrats!