I feel like a terrible neighbor................

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chickenzoo, Jun 21, 2011.

1. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Well about a week and a half ago my neighbors pump went out. Hubby told them what they would need to fix it and to wait till he got back from doc's, because he was having trouble breathing. Well they tried to fix it themselves and ended up dropping some pipe thing or worse down to the bottom of the well. So they were suppose to have someone come out and fix it in a few days, so we hooked up our hose to their house so they could have water. Their pump bladder still was holding air... what ever that means... Well, so many days go by and nothing, so I ask them how it's going. Said the guy that can fix it is on another job. OK, so it will be the end of the week. Find out the guy isn't even a well company, but a person who use to work for one but he and his brother do it together. So I wait some more, then they have people from their church come over and try to do it instead of paying a company. Well, it's been a week and a half of using our water, nothing is fixed, they don't want to spend the money on a real well company and I have a realtor coming the end of the week to list our house for sale. I told them it was long enough and we needed to shut it off before it blows our pump. I feel bad, as I like these people, but they are collectors and spend a lot of money on "stuff"- house filled to ceiling, garage and a huge metal building. They have a son who is in his 40's that lives there. Yet they don't want to spend money on a well person. I know times are tight, but I can't afford to buy another pump since this one is 5 months old. I told them they can come get water, but I was just tired of our pump running and running especially when they forget to turn off the hose when priming their pump while they "fix" it. I still feel horrible thou.... [​IMG]

2. gertiie

gertiie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Warsaw, Indiana
    Don't feel bad. It sounds like you were being taken advantage of . You gave them more than enough time to fix their problem.
    Bless your heart for helping those in need. Sometimes people don't have the courtesy or respect that they should have to their helpers is all.

3. shawnj72

shawnj72 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    Upper Michigan
    X2 I agree
    Quote:

4. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    It sounds more like you HAVE a terrible neighbor, not at all like you ARE a terrible neighbor.

I guarantee they'll find a way to get it fixed now that the free water has dried up. [​IMG]

5. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    They blew their chance, plus you are moving, not really their neighbor anymore. They sound more like they should be on the TV show Hoarders anyway...

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Be nice, but shut off the spigot, roll up the hose. Some people are just users by nature, and these folks fit the description. Very nice folks, but always looking at the angles. I have tried sooooo many times to help people out- and I have had to cut some of them off from the gravy train more times than I want to admit to. Best of luck to you.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Being nice is what you have been-- users either inadvertantly or purposefully is what your neighbors have become. Feel no guilt you are not a "terrible neighbor."

8. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Yep. A GOOD neighbor is one who does what you did. A BAD neighbor is one who did what they did. Orchid was right; you'll be amazed at how fast they can get it fixed now that they're not getting free water any more.

9. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    I agree !!! [​IMG]

10. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    Regrets are a waste of time and energy.

There is a difference between helping and enabling. Time for neighbors to help themselves.

No worries. Everything will come right.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by