I feel like a worried mother...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kec5105, Apr 11, 2011.

1. kec5105

kec5105 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    Mt. Bethel, PA
    So I set 12 barred rock eggs 3 weeks ago, due to hatch today. 9 made it to lockdown. I used a mini fridge converted to an incubator with a computer fan and heat tape. Temps were 99* humdity aound %40 til 3 days ago, I bumped it up a bit. Last night I could hear them peeping inside the egg and this morning I got woken up around 530AM by my first little chicky making a racket. So now he is fluffy, dry and named (Nugget) I only opened the incubator an inch and peaked in to make sure he was ok and to see how many there were. The problem I am having is that I do not have a window into my incubator (next project definetly) but I just looked again and it does not look like anyone else has progressed at all. Does this happen normally where one is a day earlier than his siblings? I thought that all being the same temperature, they would all at least start around the same time. How often can/should I open the door to peak in? I know little nugget is good for a few days in there but should I pull him out and put him into the brooder anyway? All of the eggs showed movement when candled the night before lockdown so they all "were" alive. I know its only been about 12 hours since Nugget started but I just want them all to be ok. We tried incubating eggs years ago and it always got to the last few days and they all died in the eggs so I'm just nervous. I am just going crazy sitting around waiting to hear more peeping!
    Thanks!
    Kristine

2. The Chicken Lover 11

The Chicken Lover 11 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    Ireland
    Hopefully they'll all be alright [​IMG]

3. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Even with a fan a bator can have "hot spots." Ideal temp is 99.5 to 100, so 99 is just a tad cool. Could be that Nugget had a nice, cozy warm spot and thus developed a bit faster. If that's the case, I wouldn't be surprised if the others lag a day or even two behind. It's not time to panic yet ... but the "no window" thing would drive me crazy, too. As for Nugget being okay for a "few days," IMO you should never leave newborn chicks more than 48 hours. I know hatcheries put them through longer shipping times than this, but hatchery shipments also experience "die off" far too frequently. If you have to take Nugget out, have the brooder ready and just move fast, open the door only a crack, and DO NOT give in to the little devil sitting on your shoulder telling you to "just check" on the other eggs! Listen to the angel on the other shoulder telling you to hurry! Just don't give up yet on the others. You're probably fine. [​IMG]

4. kec5105

Apr 11, 2011
    Mt. Bethel, PA
    Yea the brooder is up and ready, has been for a day now so thats good to go. I think I am going to take him out, I may as well since no one else has pipped yet. If I wait and then have to take him out when someone is hatching I raise the risk of "shrink wrapping" right?

5. naakte

naakte Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Branson, missouri
    You poor thing how scarrrry!!!! I bet more will hatch though. I have decided that when i start hatching, I will definitely have a window in my incubator hugs from Branson Missouri

6. kec5105

Apr 11, 2011
    Mt. Bethel, PA
    yea I am definetly cutting a window into it when this is all over... so far no more have hatched and I rigged my web cam up so I can see everything going on with out opening. I have not heard any peeps or seen anything happen yet. How long should I wait for them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by