I feel like an IDIOT!

I have WHAT in my yard?

Songster
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
Eggberg, PA
One of my weak points is getting lost. It really seems to depend on the circumstance, but getting lost when I am driving really freaks me out. I don't know why. Si usually if I have to go somewhere new I pore over maps and google directions and use the picture feature so that I am sure of where I am going. If it is a big event I will make the trip before the event to make sure I am not stressed by both finding it and the event.

So yesterday my daughter's troop was going to a tour. I thought the tour was at a place I knew so I wasn't worried. I got to the rendezvous point only to find out that the place was 45 minutes away!! First off the timing was wrong - there was no way the trip could be done in the time frame they had allowed for it so I was bothered right there. Then I got handed directions from the woman's house, not from where we were. I was still OK as I thought I pretty much knew the general area. But, the caravan lost us pretty much at the first light. Then when we got up there there were detour signs and the road I was supposed to turn onto I never found. SO here I am in rush hour traffic lost as all get out, knowing I am disappointing my daughter because she is missing the event, feeling embarrassed because I got lost and I just started to cry. I have been kind of hormonal lately, I am thinking I am going into early menopause..... So I freaked in front of my daughter, we missed the event. I have no idea what I am going to say to the rest of the mothers in the troop, who I don't really like anyway.... They never tell you about the strain of dealing with other parents when you have kids.

My daughter seems OK with it. She was mad about the event, she was afraid when I cried, but she said she was OK..... How do I face these people again? I feel like an idiot for not being able to handle something so stupid. I feel like an idiot for not being able to follow directions.

Honestly, I don't think you have anything to be embarrassed for. From the sounds of it, the directions weren't very good, and the people you were following lost you right off. Stuff happens. I would SO not be worried about what the other mothers think. As for your daughter, well, you are human, and as she gets older, needs to realize that we all feel a little overwhelmed now and then. Apologize and move on. But most of all, it sounds like you need to give yourself a break--really! Do you know how many parents wouldn't even be bothered to try and take an active part in their kid's lives? You were there, trying your best to do something for your daughter. It didn't work, THAT time; so what? You made the effort, and hopefully your daughter will get that. You sound like a good mom and a good person who is way too hard on herself
hugs.gif

Last edited:
Goodness,

When we are driving in a "caravan" or a motorcycle "pack", we pull over when we find out we have lost someone at a light so they can catch up. Is that not the custom in most places?

There is nothing you can do about it now. I would just say to the other parents when you see them that the directions were aweful and you got lost end of story. But i would try to make it up to your daughter spend some one on one time with her and explain that you get stressed out about driving in unknown areas. I have the same problem. My GPS has been the solution. I love my Garmin. Got a TOM TOM for last year and hate it , so I traded with my husband for his old Garmin,much more user freindly

DH said a GPS for my birthday is coming up - but he has to get back to work first!!
roll.png
I AM too hard on myself and I know it......

Thank you very much for the support. Apparently four other kids did not get there. I am not sure how many were actually trying or just could not make it. Another mom is setting up an alternate event at a local facility - and DH will be able to drive!

These people just seemed to stink at caravaning (is that a word?) this is the third time they have tried it and they never manage to keep everyone..... I think they think that keeping up with the leader is up to the follower, not taking into account lights and interweaving traffic......

That does sound very upsetting. I can understand - I also pore over maps, mapquest, etc. The darn directions sound so easy, but with traffic how are you supposed to be able to find a little road sign? You have some guy on your rear bumper... I get all sweaty, and then I usually call my DH and yell at him:rolleyes: He's getting used to it. It's not his fault, but I just need to vent.

I'm glad that they're having another event she can go to!

I'm kinda the same way. I get lost easily, I don't like driving in unfamiliar places, and I get anxious when I am lost. I now have a GPS in my car. It doesn't always give the best directions, but it helps. It also has a lovely "go home" feature that takes me back to where I started. This is great if you are driving in an new place.

But, your caravanners didn't do you any favors. A group should be aware of who is following and make allowances. Directions for a group should be gone over before leaving, and phone numbers should be exchanged so that you can keep in contact. We've done a lot of this with the scouts, and things like this happen. But if you can contact the other people, and leave with plenty of time to spare things usually work out.

Apologize to your daughter, but don't let her bully you. Accidents happen. Let they other people know they lost you, so that it doesn't happen again; with you or anyone else.

I don't have children so I can't add anything about dealing with the parents or your daughter. But I am the same way about getting lost. Or was. I too bought a Garmin. I have not been lost since. I could care less where I am because it has a feature that you push called Go Home. That thing will take you home from wherever on this great earth you might end up at!!!! I have been able to go so many more places I never thought I would have been able to on my own. Search ebay, I saved a couple hundred dollars on a new factory refurbished one. And then I added a square trade.com warranty to it in case refurbished meant there would ever be a problem. That was 4 years ago and it's still going strong. I agree with the previous poster about Garmin. Best money you can spend!

I sure can sympathize! I have absolutely no sense of direction. Here, near Cleveland, all directions are based on Lake Erie - it's north. But once I get near an area and don't know which way is north, I'm clueless. I bought a Garmin too and love it. I bought a reconditioned one on Ebay and it was well worth it.

Don't beat yourself up over it; we've all been there!

One time coming home from living in Mi for a year, I was following DH he had DD in the car with him and I was driving our truck, we were going through Chicago and there was a detour and with no warning he decides to get off at the ramp instead of taking the detour . Well that truck was big and I managed to get over 2 lanes to the right to be able to get off after him. Almost caused a major accident scared me to death (and probably a few other people too). When he pulled over a little while later cause he noticed me gesturing wildly I told him I was done. Call your brother have him come get the truck Sell it (it was only a year old) I don't care I'm done. This was before GPS's He left me and DD sitting at a Burger King and went to a radio shack and bought Walkie Talkies for the rest of the ride.
Well it worked we made it home and I swore I would never follow anyone ever again.

Back
Top Bottom