I feel like crap-I just killed a embryo, I feel so stupid.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TexasChickenLady, Oct 28, 2008.

1. TexasChickenLady

TexasChickenLady Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2008
    Pampa, Texas
    Well I'm such horible chicken owner, I had made an incubator a few weeks back, but it took me a good week to get the temp to pan out, Well I thought what the heck I'll try it out and see what hapens, well it's been really hard to keep the temp and humidity right and I'm always waking up to a too hot incubator, everyday I have to keep tweaking it to get it back to normal. The fluctuation is outragous. So I've had 2 eggs in there for 10 days today and I candled one egg whos shell looked sorta thin and spotted, I kept telling dh that I know this certain egg in infertile, I just kept saying this right. Well today I candled them and nothing, I saw nothing, I dont think I was doing it right or had a strong enough light, because I was sure I had a bum egg and so I craked it open just to see if I was right and there it was a baby chicken, moving. i killed it. I suck at this, I feel so bad, I just should of waited. But I was so sure it was a bum egg. Please tell me I am not the only one.

2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    You're not the only one. We live and learn. Get yourself a real good strong light and practice candling. I don't through any out until day 14 or later. By then, you have more than veins and a real small embyro and it's easier to tell.

[​IMG]

3. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    This has happened before, I know you feel rotten but you are not the only one.

4. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Hunny, it was an honest mistake. You were running a test, and you were learning. Accidents happen, its ok. I'm sure it hurt, but you have learned from it and you'll have a better experience next time.

Keep working to get the incubator right, and keep practicing. Don't give up, don't let it get you down it was an honest mistake. Next time, candle them for a little longer, and don't throw anybody until maybe day 14-16 so you know you feel more sure.

I'm so sorry.

(((((Hugs))))

5. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Been there with you!!! It feels awful, but learn what you can from it so as to save more in the future....

so sorry...

[​IMG]

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    awwww, that stinks !!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Live and learn !!!! Next time you will know to wait and make a better candler !!!!! Dont get to upset with yourself, everyone makes mistakes !!!

:aww :aww :aww :aww

7. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Oh! I'm so sorry. :aww

8. Bex

Bex Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2008
    Virginia
    I'm sorry. [​IMG]

But you are not the only one. My fiance had four 12 day old duck eggs when he was younger (and I mean like 12/13yrs), and he got "curious".. Not only did he crack the first one open that had a baby in it, he cracked the other 3 too, one of which had twins. [​IMG]

He still feels awful about it. But, things happen. [​IMG] From now on don't go throwing any out until later on, that'll help reassure you that none of them are fertile.

9. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I incubated my first batch of eggs when I was maybe ten or twelve. I waited for them to hatch with the kind of anticipation kids have. Disappointed when they were overdue, I took the incubator outside and dumped all the eggs on a big rock. Well, I must have counted the days wrong, because most of them had chicks inside that were on the verge of hatching, and I killed them all.

10. SGM

SGM Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    [​IMG] You aren't alone. I have learned not to toss eggs till the 14 day mark. If the egg isn't dark by then its not going to be so its a reject. I don't toss before that unless there's a reason (ie smelly, oozing etc.) Don't let it get you down. Its a learning process and it is easy to be swept away in the sad parts. Just hold your head up high and try again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by