I feel like crying.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Tokajein, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Tokajein

Tokajein Songster

Mar 4, 2011
    Today I decided to crack open all my clears, and one that had veining at first, but during today's candling wasn't at all apparent.
    Well When I cracked it open, I saw a little tiny embryo, with teeny tiny little eyes.
    Looks like it died at about day six(it is day 11 now, approaching 12)
    But I really feel like crying. I wish I never cracked it open. Makes me feel so bad to see that dead embryo.
    Has anyone else had this happen, and felt this way?
    Is it normal to feel this way?
    And should I have a little burial for it tomorrow?
    Because i would feel horrible if I just threw it away, or washed it down the drain.

2. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    AWWWeeee that's to bad but apparently these things happen, the only thing we can do is to improve what may have gone wrong and make it better next time so that we don't have to go through things like this. I once opened up an egg to early, my son was with me, only he was fully developed (the chick), there was no movement what so every when I candeled him I thought for sure it was either bad and going to explode or the little guy was dead inside... I even confirmed it with others about no movement but when I cracked the egg opened and started to remove some of it from the little chick, there he was gasping for air. TALK about feeling really crappy, it was soooo hard to sleep thinking I was the cause for this little guy not surviving.. So now I try to leave them alone unless I'm absolutely sure there's no life... It's so hard when you lose one because your the one who made it. Almost like having a baby only you don't have to do all the pushing.. lol.....

3. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Songster

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    Some people are very sensitive about these things and I'm there with you on this one. I've cried over every pet I've lost, over pets I've known, and so on.

I'm sorry for your loss, it's heartbreaking especially when they are so small. [​IMG] Have a burial for it, it'll help a little.

Take care~

4. HelenaJean

HelenaJean In the Brooder

Jan 22, 2011
    outback Australia
    i'm so sorry, that's awful [​IMG]
    it's normal to feel sad about things like that, death isn't nice; it doesn't matter what kind of animal it is.

I once tried to c-section a chick out of its egg because i didn't know how to set them all at the same time and they developed at different rates therefore the mother left the nest with this poor baby having maybe 24 hours to go! it didn't work at all, i cut through the air sac and it was moving under the membrane. I opened it all up, the poor little thing was gasping, wet, bloody in my hand and then it died, still attached to the yolk sac. It has scales and feathers, it was SO close the being ready, but not quite close enough. Needless to say that upset me; but it'll all part of learning, you'll know not to look inside because it's upsetting and i'll know to set all the eggs at the same time and to NEVER try to get the chick out of the egg before it's ready.
    take care xx

5. TarHeelBlue

TarHeelBlue Songster

Jan 2, 2011
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    So sad for you. I would be the same way. [​IMG] I always, always bury my little guys, whether I have cracked them open or not (and I learned early NOT to, too emotional for me) I have a small chicken graveyard where I have put eggs that didn't make it and some chicks that just weren't strong enough to make it. Needless to say, tears went in with them. Hope you feel better , and celebrate those wonderful new chicks you have!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: