I feel like giving up..

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by StormyMoon, Aug 4, 2010.

1. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    We strengthened the pen using 2 x 4's to keep the welded wire between the wood instead of outside or just inside , we even put up wood across spacing them 3 inches apart long ways so that nothing could get in.........large dog got into my pen again ripping the wood apart using its teeth. We caught the dog didnt tell the owner I am sick of dealing with owners and we did away with the dog our self. But how many more dogs can this man have of course 5 more waiting to break off their chains and go crazy.

They don't give their pets attention, they are out in all kinds of weather and 107 degree heat.

I feel like giving up owning chickens my chickens wont even free range any more during the day they are too afraid to come out of the coop and egg production is 0 now. The only chickens that are safe are the ones I keep in my house my bantams and 5 baby chicks. I only started in April 2010 since then have lost total of 13 chickens. Whats the use of having a 6 ft fence if a dog can bull its way right through it , we have 6ft welded horse fence it was bran new when we first moved here a yr ago. When I say right through it I don't mean under it I mean through it busted a big hole right through it. If I had a flock of 100 or even 50 a few chicken losses wouldn't be so hard I guess I don't know if I would feel the same. But I only had around 27 chickens each we named I will never name a chicken again. It is so emotional to be so attached to them.

I don't like putting other peoples pets down I feel it isn't fair to the dog cause they have sucky owners.

My question is does it get better or does it get worse.....dealing with predators and loss?

I guess the only way to keep chickens completely safe is by using METAL cages where their feet never touch the earth..that just doesn't seem fair either to me since its natural for chickens to scratch for their food. But when they are suppose to be safe in their Pen away from predators but the predator is capable or ripping wood to shreds it seems I will never win. It is a problem when I can't afford such cages I am not rich or well off I hate admitting that but it is the truth and I have been doing the best I could with what I had. You would think being in the country my worst predator would be wild life.....not domestic pets... Sorry Just venting I know the only solution is giving up on my love for chickens or put them all in wire cages off the ground.

2. Beekissed

Beekissed Flock Master

Or you could place electric wire along the outside of your run fencing. An electric charger cost about $30 and last for a long time. Juice those predators up!

A life in a cage is really no life at all..... [​IMG]

3. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Electric fence, outside of your wire. 2 - 5 wires. Inexpensive, but effective.

Yes, it sucks to lose them. Just do your best to take care of the ones you have left and enjoy them.

4. StormyMoon

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    The charger is 30.00 is that a package deal with wire and all or would i have to buy other parts to run around the coop and their yard?
    And if I need to buy extra wire what kind would you suggest I am willing to do anything at this point...

5. crazy huhn

crazy huhn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2008
    I would use electric fencing. It will help to keep wildlife and domestic animals away.
    Check "Craigs List", sometimes people sell electric fencing supplies and chargers on there for a lot less than it would cost you new. Some fence chargers come with normal batteries, others you plug in an electrical outlet, while others are powered by solar energy.

I am so sorry for your losses and it sure is frustrating. However, do not give up the wonderful hobby of keeping chickens. Improve your fence as described. Also, if you know the owner of the stray dogs, you may want to report the dogs as soon as you see them of their property to animal control or file a police report. If animal control picks up the dogs, the owner has to pay a big fine in our area to get the dog back and a lot of careless owners will think twice of letting their dogs loose again.

Something can be done and I wish you all the luck and strength you need here!!!

6. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    First I love chickens. But they are not the greatest animals to own as pets. That statement alone should get me egged off of the forum. But there is so much that can go wrong when owning chickens. I have a few that I name, and I know that I will cry if something happens to them. I still don't get attached to them the quite the same way as I do my cats or dogs. Birds are so much more fragile. I care and will protect them to the best of my abilities. I learned a longtime ago that as much as you want to you can't keep them from dying sooner or later and that includes cats and dogs. (That includes kids another story) I always hope for best, but if the worst happens I choose to learn from it and move forward.

The neighbors dog is better off under the circumstances. I would keep the chickens, and keep taking out the neighbors dogs. I would have called who ever the Animal control authority yesterday and reported the conditions that the poor dogs are living under. I don't tolerate animal abuse. Animals that are ignored at a 107 degrees should better have water, food, and shade at the very minimum. But then I had air conditioning install for a 120lb Komondor and the fish that live in my aquarium.

So please keep your chickens. You are just frustrated and heart broken tonight. Please know that there are people that care and understand.

and if this is too much let me know I will delete it.

7. StormyMoon

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    Quote:I wish we did have animal control out here. They told me they don't have jurisdiction / rights to pick up animals in this area. The sheriff just tells us to shoot them.
    I think they are glad they are going one by one this is the 3rd dog they have lost cause of eating our chickens. The first dog they took to a shelter, the second time this happen the owner shot the dog twice, then buried it himself. This time I took care of it myself. The man is crazy he was waving his gun at me and my children just before and after shooting his own dog. All I kept thinking was to just get my kids out of the way screw him........we aren't suppose to go knock on his door any more sheriff told him he had the right to shoot us if we came on his property. Sheriff told me if I was knocking on his door he wouldn't even answer it. So pretty much I am on my own and have to do what I can to protect my own I am just getting angrier every time it repeats. Its just crazy !!!! And I am sick of people who don't care.

8. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    You did the right thing in shooting the dog. [​IMG]

All you can do is keep shooting them humanely. I'll pray for your safety.

9. StormyMoon

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    Quote:Your right, and I understand your comment... I will keep the ones I have named but wont be naming any more and put the electric fence up as soon as I can get that.

10. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Overrun With Chickens

Jun 19, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I would call the cops every time he does something crazy like that, along with when his dogs are off, AND because of the animal abuse... if you call them often enough they might realize that he is a danger to those around him and do something about it... helps if other neighbors are calling too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by