I feel like such a bad mommy!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sonjab314, May 20, 2010.

1. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    We got the coop done today and I decided that my bigger babies were going to stay out there tonite. Well as we finished the coop it started raining and now its storming and I feel like such a bad mommy [​IMG] They looked so tiny in the coop compared to their brooder. I made sure they have their heat source and realized their new "big girl" feeders were ready for them. I showed them the water and food. They were happy and eating when I left the coop but why do I still feel sooo bad?

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  2. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    It's empty brooder syndrome. I always miss them when they go, too. But they will be happier with all the extra space. Really.

3. sonjab314

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    I just went and checked on them for the first time. They were fine but I still feel sad. I think I'll be getting my exercise tonite

4. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Good Chickie Mommy [​IMG]

5. ronikins

ronikins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    SW Missouri (Ozarks)
    I felt the same way when mine went out. They needed to be in a bigger space so the next step was the coop. ALOT bigger than the brooder, of course. They were happy but I still felt bad. Especially when it started storming and a deluge came. I went out to check on them when it was pouring and it was soooo loud in there because of the metal roof! I felt so bad for them. But, I tell ya, they are so much happier now. We finished puting up the wire for the run and they went out for the first time today. Sooo cute!

[​IMG]

6. sonjab314

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    Those are some really cute babies you got there. I put mine outside today too. They love to scratch and they even played leap frog today. They are more entertaining than tv.

7. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Just go ahead and get your flashlight ready. Trust me. Make sure the batteries are good too. It hurts like heck trying to check chicks with a lighter. really bad. Get that flashlight you will want to check them again and it will still be dark.

8. sonjab314

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    Well they made it through the night better than I did. I was a wreck but when I checked on them first thing this morning, they were just as happy as can be. Maybe tonite will be easier for me? My babies have grown up lol

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I experienced the same Empty Brooder syndrome each time I put the "kids" out full time. It's one reason I got more chicks to fill it up again after this year's first Spring chicks feathered out fully and I put 'em out in their segregated coop.

And it's also one reason why I keep them inside until they are fully feathered, AND 8 weeks old. By 8 wks, I really need to get them outside, cannot justify keeping them inside any longer. That first night I never (and won't) get much sleep, either.

And it's another reason I got a lot of solar lighting in my back yard, so I won't kill myself tripping over or running into anything on the way to the coop!

10. sonjab314

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    I still have 9 babies in the brooder that are too small to go outside. But the ones I put out are my first baby chickens ever. But the brooder looks half empty. I put 11 out and still have 9 in. I miss having them all in the house. I'm just wondering what it will be like when they ALL go out. Maybe I will get a couple of brahmas then. I've been researching them. Is that sad or what?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by