I feel like such a horrible chicken mama :-(

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by howfunkyisurchicken, Nov 7, 2011.

1. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I've lost 3 birds the past 3 nights [​IMG] Of course they were my 3 absolute favorites [​IMG] My frazzled Cochin, Kickin' Chicken, my special needs Cochin, Mary Belle, and my poor homely Cochin, Frodo (she just took top honors for the foulest fowl). All 3 of them are a little off, and other than being flat I couldn't find anything wrong with them to indicate why they died. My frazzle was looking pretty rough as of late, so he didn't have as many feathers to look through as the girls. I found 2 little vampire bites on his neck. I looked all around the coop for any sign of something digging in. Well, I couldn't find anything. Because it didn't have to dig in. I'd left the window open about an inch. Its covered in hardware cloth, so I've never though anything of leaving it open. A corner of the hardware cloth was pulled back just a tad.. does this sound like the doings of a mink or weasel? We have both in my area, and I live in between a river and a pond-so I have water on both sides of my property. I'm so upset. Somethings also been raiding my koi pond, and I've lost fish I've been keeping for years (but they could've been taken by a number of predators). So, I guess I'll be going out today to go over every crack and crevice in my coop. If I get the coop secure, will this little murderer move along and find something else to eat? Ive got a live trap, but its seen quite a few coons so I don't think its in good enough shape to hold in something as small and wiley as a weasel. Any advice on how to get rid of this little sucker is much appreciated, I don't want to and can't afford to loose anymore birds....

2. Bianca67

Bianca67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2011
    Cedar Springs, MI
    Sorry for your losses:hit

3. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    [​IMG] Sorry for you loss... it suks.

4. gpwelding1

gpwelding1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2011
    upstate south carolina
    [​IMG] very sorry for your loss.
    it does sound like a weasle attack to me.

5. Abirdbrain

Abirdbrain Chillin' With My Peeps

Possum is most likely. If very small holes, weasel is probable. Dont discount a rat, they will kill and leave the body. Very hard to control rats once they move in, as they may have a burgening population by the time they get noticed.

A take out or eat in lunch is a clue to what you are dealing with.

Sorry about your loss, it is ahrd on the spirit when what you work for is destroyed overnight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by