I feel like the sky is falling..I wanna cry.. sick chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dar, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I feel like my world is crashing... my chickens are sick... well some of them... others are injured.... and we have new ones coming...

I have 3 chickens with a gurgle.... thats right a gurgle thats all I can say... no discharge from anywhere.. poo looks good... combs are great bright red.... I have treated then with tetracycline for 10 days with no improvement and no further symptoms either! they are running free in my dirty room as we call it (its part of the basement that DH has his tools and the oil tank is there and there is ok lighting... the water pump is there its just a dirty room) I have them somewhat contained to minimize the mess. They are there cause I am running out of space...

I have 7 chickens ready to go to the big coop soon, they are in my brooder in my big room (the room that is beside the dirty room but this one is clean and stores stuff... decorations camping gear... usable stuff you know...

I just got in early from work and decided to take my tea out to the coop and sit with my chickens... and thats when the crazyness began! (picture this in your mind.... me in my scrubs tea in hand... a few chicken treats and my snack in the other.. all peaceful and serene right? WRONG... DEAD WRONG!)

my chickens see me walk in with their treat bowl and I got mugged!

then I notice 2 of my chickens in corners... alive but something is really wrong... I clear everyone out of the coop and into the run and investigate.

patient #1) mixed bantam bought from auction as a day old.. the lone survivor of my dogs buffet a few weeks ago.. (dont get me started on that again but she killed all but 1).. well he is not walking.. upon closer inspection i see he has something on his feet.. finally caught him to find he has about 5 feet of fishing twine wrapped around BOTH feet.. he hog tied himself.. so off into the kitchen I go chicken in hand... finally got all of it off. Poor guy has had this on for a while... I thought i was going to have to amputate a few toes [​IMG] and in this whole process i see he has a VERY bad case of scaly leg mites! so he is undergoing treatment and the rest will start tonight when i can catch them while on the roost. he is in a rabbit cage in the dining room.

Patient #2) EE .. hatched easter weekend.... I had no problem catching her.. she is sooo week.. I feel like such a bad mom [​IMG] she has been pecked raw... when i picked her i could smell the infection and rotting flesh. She is now inside in the ferret cage I am going to bathe her tonight... as soon as i put food and water in there she ate like she has eaten in a week.. so i will let her get a little stronger and a little more comfortable. I also have her on SUPER BOOSTER by VĂ©toquinol. Has any one heard of it? I was told by the feed supply it was like Gatorade with an antibiotic heres the link for more info http://veto.naccvp.com/index.php?u=country&p=msds&mainframe=prodindex.php%3Fquery%3Dsuper%20booster

To
    boot.. I have 10 chickens in a friends bator hatching on wednesday... and I have no place to put them [​IMG] I may have to convert a dog crate... these are the eggs i collect as soon as we lost out dear polish rooster kazooee to a raccoon so we are hoping for kazooee babies

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Well, chicken #1 seems to be okay, make sure it eats and drinks, make sure you see it.
    Chick #2 should be on antibiotics, like penicillin, or my fav, LS-50. Also, wash the infected spots with water, dry and put antibiotic ointment on it. That kind of infection sounds like it needs both internal and external.

The gurgling chickens need Tylan or Baytril, I doubt tetracycline is going to work.

3. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    I don't think I can get Tylan or Baytril OTC here only by script

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    you have to order it online.

5. Dar

Jul 31, 2008