I feel really bad.....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by harleyjo, Jul 4, 2011.

1. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    I have 12 muscovy ducklings that are 2 weeks old left from the 16 I had. I have sold 4 of them already. Anyway, today I was moving them to an outside pen and 2 of them slipped out of my hands and they were off. I can't find them anywhere. At first one of them ran over to my adult muscovies in the yard, one of which was a mother to it We had taken them right away within a day of hatching because we have a lot of preditors around at night. The 3 adults were watching it one minute and then a few minutes later it was gone somewhere else and they were all still together. The mom started looking some, I could tell that was what she was doing but she can't find it either.

Since we wanted to sell them we felt they would be safer if we put them in a brooder. Then I pull this today and I bet I never see those ducklings again. [​IMG]

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    They may bond up with the adults after they are over the terror of being loose.

When I have to move ducklings, I don't carry them in my hand. They are very slippery and wiggly. I carry them in a tall bucket that they can't jump out of.

When I handle them, it is someplace where it is not possible for them to fall and get injured.

3. harleyjo

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    Quote:They have to survive the night first. Without an adult around to protect them I am not sure they will make it.

4. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Can you put the other ducklings in a pen where the lost ducklings might see/hear them? If they see the rest of their siblings they might come back.

5. harleyjo

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    Quote:They were out in that pen all day and I can't leave them out there tonight. It is definately not racoon safe and I am pretty rural here although I live in a small town.

6. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    I wouldn't leave them out there at night either. I sure hope you find them or that the adult ducks take care of them.

7. harleyjo

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    Quote:I don't think the adult ducks know where they are either. I know one of the mom's was looking around for it several times this afternoon. It is as if they have vanished.

8. harleyjo

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    They didn't come back. I will keep looking but I think they are gone.[​IMG]

9. harleyjo

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    OMG.... They both were back tonight when I just went out to lock everyone up for the night. [​IMG] I can't believe they survived 2 nights alone out there. I am just so glad they are back.

10. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    That's great news!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by