I feel really sad about this

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by taraann81, Apr 28, 2009.

1. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    My Muscovy hen laid a bunch of eggs. I took half of them and put them in my incubator. She started setting on hers the same day. So both the ones under her and in the incubator are on day 14. I've candled all of mine and I can see the little embryo squirming around in there. I took one of hers the other day and candled it. Nothing. Today I went and checked and not one of them is developing? I took them from her, some of them were beginning to smell. Now she is sitting on a nest with no eggs. It just seems sad for her to put so much effort into them already and nothing. When will she realize her eggs are gone and stop sitting there? Also why would this happen? I can't imagine fertility is the issue because all of the ones I took are fertile and developing. I just feel sad for her.

2. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    She may have just not stayed on the nest as much as possible and it may have ended development.

I would put some fake eggs under her if you are planning on giving her the ducklings when they hatch. You know, keep her on the nest thinking she's doing her thing... and when the ducklings hatch slip them under her so she has a feeling of accomplishment and can mama them.

You don't have to though.

3. taraann81

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    Thanks. I don't think I will give her fake eggs as I would like her to lay some more. I don't think she got off to often she only got off 1 every few days for like 5 mins or so. I wonder if might have something to do with her nest site. She had them in the wrong barn. There is no hay there so they were right on hard cold cement. I just wonder if she couldn't keep them at the right temp in those conditions. I am a complete novice though, so its all only speculation. I would just love to know so I could maybe prevent the same thing from happening the next time around.
    Thanks for the advice.

4. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    I'd put chicken eggs under her to hatch...or just let her start laying again - that is what my broody hen usually does when eggs get taken from the nest, she starts laying some more [​IMG]

eta:
    Also, I would've stuck some straw under her eggs if on cold cement. Maybe if she chooses that spot again, you could fix her up a cozy soft nest. Surely she would still sit, my hens would...but they are chickens:)

I hope she gets to be a moma soon!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  5. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    I would encourage her to stay broody (put fake eggs under her) and, then, give her the babies when they hatch. Or...at least TWO.

6. taraann81

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    I could give her some of the developing eggs in the incubator. But I would worry that what ever caused hers to not develop would stop these eggs. I have another girl who isn't broody yet but has laid a clutch of a dozen or so. But she has already been sitting for 14 days I don't know if I gave her those eggs if she would finish incubating them. Because she would have to sit for another 35 days on top of the 14 she has already sat. Wouldn't she give up?

7. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Don't give her the eggs in the incubator. Let them hatch there and put them under her soon as they do. That way she isn't starting over, she gets to have her babies and all will be well. All you need to do now is let her keep sitting on the nest. If you put fake eggs under her, she will stay broody and you won't be starting her over again. [​IMG]

8. Ruditchka

Ruditchka Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Yes, the cold cement beneath her would have taken the warmth away from the eggs and lowered their temps way too much to develop. Warmth was provided above the egg but sucked out from beneath![​IMG]

9. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:To make a long story short you'd be better off leaving the eggs to Muscovy hen to hatch.

1. Muscovy hens are one of the best hatchers and brooders.

2. Artifitial incubation of Muscovey eggs is difficult, that's why you can barely see any commercial hatcheries to sell Muscovey ducks.

My friend has a flock of Muscovies living on 5 acres, most of it being Florida cypress swamp.

They hatch their eggs starting in January with no help or effort from the owner of all those birds.

10. taraann81

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    Okay great. I will for now on make sure she only has access to the barn with straw, so hopefully this doesn't happen again. I would like her to lay again though. So if I did not put fake eggs under her she will probably start to lay again soon, right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by