I feel really stupid.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by K4zn4v3, Dec 4, 2010.

1. K4zn4v3

K4zn4v3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    During the winter I put my ducks into a very sturdy 4'x8' box completly insulated and even equiped with a video camera so I can check up on them without going out into the freezing cold. Well this morning I replaced the locking mechinism to a barrel bolt placed verticly at the top of the door. When I went to put them in tonight I walked into the box and the door slammed shut behind me becuase it has a spring on it. I didnt think anything of it becuase I designed it to close behind my so there are no escaped ducks. So I went to open the door and the shock of the door hitting against the box made the barrel bolt close and lock me in. I spent almost three hours locked inside before the family realized I never came back in. I sure was thankful for the insulation, I walked outside in my pjs because it only takes me about a minute to put them in, needless to say it was still a bit chilly.

2. incubatingisfun

incubatingisfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    wow good thing they went out there i would have freaked out i dont like tight spaces at least you had duckys for company [​IMG]

3. Quacking

Quacking Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2010
    Pity your family wanst watching the video being streamed from the box, you may not have been in there anywhere near as long. Im sure it has happened to many people before but it is always funny to read. Sorry for having a little giggle at your expense.

4. bibkel

bibkel Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    First, you are not stupid cuz I would probably do the same thing!

Second, change the setup, cuz if it happens again....well, then the stupid thing might be a bit more accurate, LOL.

So now, my question is, do your ducks tend to follow you out? How many do you have? Mine are too skittish, and they are 2 months old...when I open the shed, if I take a step inside they quack like I am killing them and they trip over each other to be as far away as possible! I generally will open the shed, unhook the cage and slide it back then prop up the ramp(they are in a baby pool right now with a "dog pen" cage around it). I have to step in to open the bird cage for the chickens....then I step back about 10 ft and wait patiently freezing my fanny off for the chickens to rush out and then the one or two ducks to hesitate at the door until the others start plowing through (mostly cuz they cannot see the monster standing outside) and then they all scramble thru the gate to the back. Sometimes they will slip past me, so I have to corral them towards the gate.

How can I get these silly quackers to realize I am not a threat? crouching down doesn't seem to make much difference, but it is a bit better. I have tried the handfeeding thing, but they simply look at me askance and once in a while panic and trip over each other. I have 14, so they make quiet a sight when they try in vain to escape. Never have they eaten anything from my hand. Even in the hungry morning.

5. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    [​IMG] Don't feel bad at least your shed is secure! Three hours is a long time, good thing you weren't seriously hurt! My DW once locked herself in the closet. No one was home except the cat and he was helping by sticking his paws under the door trying to figure out how to get in! Of course her phone was in the other room so she had to kick the door down to get out! I still make fun of her for it to this day. [​IMG]

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] i apologize. I am here in fits of laughter!!!!!

7. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Definitely not stupid, few weeks back i went into my big pen to pour some feed and the next thing i know the door shuts behind me and i'm locked in for a while, luckily i hadn't secured the wire to the 2x4s on one of the sides yet and i crawled up through it.

8. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    [​IMG] Don't feel bad-most of us, if we're honest, will confess to being locked in the coop/run. I've had it happen to me more than once.
    I agree with one of the other posters-if you have to be locked in with something/someone, ducks are great company. My little Call ducks chatter like little old men and women. [​IMG]

9. HottentotTeal

HottentotTeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Quote:Hehe, I immediately thought of when it happened to you after i read the post.

I have 2 bolt locks on mine and they are arranged horizontally and i always make sure they are locked into the open position before going in and out.

I have a set of tiny bungie cords i use to lock it from the inside, although usually i don't use them, because my ducks stay away from me and rarely go near the door since i am near it when i go in there.

10. Born A Duck Lover

Born A Duck Lover Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2010
    Western Oregon
    You poor thing! [​IMG] Something similar once happened to a friend of mine. As for me, I've always designed my duck housing so that I can always find a way out in case that happens. But I'm glad your family finally found you. At least you don't live by yourself, because that would be really scary if that happened to you while you were alone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by