1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I feel so bad...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Fowl-Language, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Fowl-Language

Fowl-Language Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Longview, WA
    I just euthanized my sweet BR baby Sally Jean. She'd been in terrible respiratory distress and was basically too weak to do anything... I'm sure I did the right thing, and I know she's not suffering any more, but I feel like such a creep [​IMG] Any words of comfort from others who've been there?

2. meant2bemommie

meant2bemommie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    California
    I have no words of comfort but if it "feels" right it generally is.

I am sorry you had to go through that.

3. chcknrs

chcknrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Kelso, WA
    If it were me, and I was that chicken, I would thank you. Course I am a nurse and have seen so much suffering, my DH still doesn't want to talk about me being a DNR (DO NOT RESCUSITATE) sp?
    I know my kidneys will fail someday, and I know I don't want it to drag out. With my blood type my chances are slim for a transplant, so I live each day to the fullest, do my best to stay healthy, and remind my loved ones how important life is to me.
    I don't want to have to lay around and suffer for years, on dialysis. I just want to love my life now.
    So I have my chickens, and if they have to go, I don't want them to suffer either.
    Maybe it's weird, but it's life. Give your best.
    If I died tomorrow, was it worth it? YES!

4. Fowl-Language

Fowl-Language Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Longview, WA
    Wow, chcknrs, I'm just over the bridge in Longview...and I'm a nurse, too... Way past my bedtime, but I'm trying to calm down. I really appreciate what you & meant2bemommie have said. If I ever have to make this decision again, I think I'll have to ask someone else to carry it out.
    Thanks again-

5. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    :aww I understand how you feel...

I put down one of my little cochin girls awhile back and I still get upset about it.

Dawn

6. chcknrs

chcknrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Kelso, WA
    I know what you mean.......I have had to have 2 dogs put down, my grandma's (for old age, incontinence, awful, etc) and my last black lab (amaranthus, vet thought). I couldn't do the first, bawled like a baby for the lab and stayed with him. It was awful! DH would have to do anything else, I just can't! But don't want to suffer myself. Hurts a lot sometimes, and would not want to put any person or animal throught it!
    LOL chickens help tho, don't wish to be "culled" so much anymore, and I hurt less!
    Chickens, not soup, for the soul![​IMG]

7. meant2bemommie

meant2bemommie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    California
    Hope you are feeling a bit better today!

8. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    You did the right thing. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by