I feel so bad!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by StarLover21, Oct 22, 2011.

1. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    We have a flighty white leghorn hen we keep in a pen with her 10 wk younger buddies, and she keeps on flying out of the pen at night to go to the coop, since we put them in the coop at night to keep safe from predatours. I guess she just trying to be a good chicken...[​IMG] but she can't actually get into the coop, so we have to catch her. And so I had to keep clipping her wings shorter, and shorter, and shorter....and this morning she started bleeding! She didn't seem to feel it, so I didn't notice. But it was moderate bleeding...the drops were forming at the wingtips and rolling down the feathers. I stopped the bleeding with toilet paper, and put her in a dog kennel with food and water by herself. And, its only a little cut, and I'm sure she'll be fine, but is there anything I should put on it? Also, can I give her a bath? If so, how do I do it? She's covered in mud/dirt/blood right now.
    Thanks!

2. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Peroxide works well to clean blood off of white feathers.

3. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    I gave her a bath...and she seemed really cold, so I brought her inside. Is there anything I should do for her?

4. remuda1

remuda1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Granbury, Texas
    Blow dry her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by