I feel so guilty. RIP Biscuit

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chiliconholly, Jun 23, 2011.

1. chiliconholly

chiliconholly Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2011
    So today I lost my baby roo, we just found out a week ago he was a roo, anyways..for a week now, i had been putting him and my 2 slighty younger hens (they were all 3 born mid to late April which makes them about 2 months old) with my 4, one year old adult hens. We had a little bickering, but they had been sleeping with the big hens for almost a week now (sorry I never got back to anyone on that thread, ive been a busy bee) anyways..so I went to put them in last night, and biscuit did not want to go inside the chicken coop to sleep. He resisted, I made him go in anyways, because he had slept there for the past 5 or 6 nights...so, stupid me, I made him sleep there anyways, because they had all been adjusting well to sleeping with the big hens...This morning I get up, I get up to let the babie s and big hens out, and I found him upside down and totally lifeless between the water bowl and door of the cage. I am thinking that he probably got into a scuff with one of my big hens and fell and broke his neck? anyways..I felt bad, I should have switched back to putting them in their dog crate last night, I almost gave in and put them back in their crate like they had wished, I really wish I had. The guilt has been haunting me all day now [​IMG]

2. Kyle241

Kyle241 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Try not to feel too guilty. These things do happen unfortunately and even if you did separate them last night, it could have happened a day or a week from now. I am sorry for the loss of your roo.

3. Sassafras

Sassafras Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    N.H.
    I'm really sorry. Mine are all the same age but they can still be rough on the roost. Every night someone falls off onto the poop board at bedtime even though there is plenty of space. [​IMG]

4. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Sorry for your loss

5. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    So sorry. [​IMG]

6. lac1975

lac1975 Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2011
    Corsicana, TX
    So sorry about your baby roo...

7. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2011
    Antarctica
    Don't feel so guilty. A fight is often unpredictable between animals. But, I'm really sorry about what happened. [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    Hi and [​IMG]
    I am sorry also........but for what it is worth...you can only guess what happened.
    It is really hard to say...........
    I know how it feels to think you caused it , but i sounds to me like you are doing your best
    for your flock. try to be easy on yourself [​IMG]

9. Rachy

Rachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    UK
    [​IMG] [​IMG] So sorry.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by