I feel so HORRIBLE!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicks & Turks, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Chicks & Turks

Chicks & Turks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    So Madeline my BC maran laid her first egg this morning around 11. WOOT First egg yay. Well, when I saw it she was still sitting on it, I figured to let her sit on it until she decided to hop off and go one. I just went out at 5:30 and she was STILL ON IT. I asked my mom if she'd been in the run today and mom said NO she checked and she was on the egg at 3. So this girly was sitting on her egg I'm guessing all day. Mona laid below the roost today, which is TOTAllY not her, so that means Maddy was still in the box when Mona had to lay. So I went out and I said well dang, and just took her egg. She clucked/growled at me. I just stole her first egg! [​IMG]

Any body else feel like a thief

2. newchik715

newchik715 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Washington
    awww....how sad....but why feel like a thief...they are your eggs! Give her a fake one....

3. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Yes I do!
    My hen laid in the middle of her coop.
    After she laid she hopped right off.
    I grabbed it, took a pic and put it in the fridge
    The 2 were staring at the egg and me, astonished I stole....
    I did it for a good cause lol
    Plus what if they try to eat the eggs....

4. Nemo

Nemo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    N'rn Wisconsin
    I don't feel like a thief, but every once in a great while, my chooks think I am and attack me while I'm collecting eggs. They come over and peck at my ankles. I've learned to dump a scoop of food into the feeder to distract them.

Maddy might have been tired from laying her first egg. The standard suggestion is to have one nestbox per four chickens, but I usually say to have at least two, or even three if you have room. That way, if you get one who decided to hang out in the only box, the others don't have to climb on top of her or lay outside the box.

5. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    No, I don't feel like I steal my eggs!! These eggs have cost me thousands of $$ and I feel very blessed to get them! My dear husband thought I had bought 'duds',since the first egg didn't come until my girls were 24+ weeks old!!

6. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    No, I don't feel like a thief. My girls give their eggs up willingly. I usaually am home or even in the coop when they lay. I just reach in and take them when they are still in the nesting box. I always thank them and tell them "Good girl."

I actually wasn't home one time when my BA laid one. When I went out to check on them, she saw me coming and started bawk, bawk, bawking. I thought something was seriously wrong. She was pacing at the fence. I asked her what was wrong and she ran into the coop. I followed her in and she hopped up to the nesting boxes and continued to bawk. I looked and found her egg. I told her "Good job, Big!'"(Big Bertha is her name.) She staopped bawking when I finally took the egg. I think she'e proud that she lays eggs for me. [​IMG]

7. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Yeah, sometimes I feel like a theif. I just feel sorry for them, especially if my Japanese Bantam goes broody, and sits on all the girls eggs! When I take her off the eggs, she is not happy with me! I just feel bad for her. I know, thats nutts, but I do. [​IMG]

8. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Treats after eggs are laid are a great distraction!

Also, leaving a couple fakes (i blew out and cleaned real egg shells) will help her not to miss the real one.

9. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    Do like the other member said and give her a fake egg. [​IMG] I used to love collecting eggs when I had chickens before. (currently waiting on my flock to get to laying age) It is always like seeing if I won the lotto and how many times! I never felt bad about taking them! I was too excited to feel bad! [​IMG]

10. kidd42

kidd42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Valley Springs, Ca.
    Our girls started laying about 6 weeks ago. My wife has only collected the eggs once. She said that she felt guilty taking their eggs. Now I always go out to the coop to collect them, and I always tell the girls "Nice job".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by