I feel so upset now, regarding neighbors.

catlvr976

Chirping
13 Years
Mar 5, 2007
Near Meadville, Pa
Hello everyone. I feel so sad now, I think my neighbor (the mother) must secretly be VERY upset about my chicks.

We told them that we were going to be getting chicks; the husband seemed like he was fine with it, no big deal. I assumed the wife was as well, she didn't say anything. We are friends with them, their kids come over and play on our swingset a couple of times a week. We live in the suburbs and they live right next door. We are building the coop in the back of our yard next to a different neighbors yard.

Well, the kids when they come over are saying things like, don't they carry disease? or what about bird flu? or why are you having chickens again? Things that I don't think that a 5 or 8 year old would just come out and ask. The 3 year old said that her mommy won't let her touch them (she wanted to, though). That's fine, they're her kids, but I'm afraid that they won't be allowed over to play anymore or something. My kids are 4, 2, and 9 months and they really like the neighbors.

When their little boy came over today, he that's when he asked me about them being diseased (he's 5). I told him, no, that we've had them for a couple of weeks now, and we're not sick. The kids all seem to be fascinated by them. I just feel bad, b/c I know that their mom must be upset, but she hasn't said anything to me.

Is there anything I can do?

If you have the face to face let us know how it comes out..... You see I have 6yr, 4yr and 2 month girls. Even though the nearest house was a 1/4 mile away, a house is now being built 160 feet from my property line, 250 feet from my house( I have 23 acres he has 10 and are house are nestled together). Anyway, I might run into the same as even though the house is only half built I can tell these are not country folk(They have a 7 and 9 year old boys so maybe them not likeing us will be good
smile.png
.....)

It is amazing how many people are on here and how many may be the same boat...just haven't posted the situation yet.....

I just feel so bad, the neighbors are so nice, we get along with them just fine. Like I said, they haven't said anything, and I do think it's the mom; she doesn't even feel comfortable around dogs. I really don't think the dad has any negative things to say about the chicks. I just get a vibe from the mom.

I don't want them to dislike us! I'm just not sure exactly what to say. Is there anything I can show the mom to ease her fears? I just REALLY don't want them to not like us! The kids are still coming over, but the chicks aren't ready for outside yet. They are all still talking to us and being friendly and everything; I just know they're worried about disease.

I'm blessed with good neighbors, but they breed and raise cocker spaniels, so what would they complain about.
hugs.gif
Sometimes I even find them down in my chair by the coop or over checking out the hive. They're fascinated, and fascinating for me to watch. They get some of our eggs and you'll be sure they get some honey when I do.

Go ahead and have your face to face meeting. It may or may not work out the way you'd like, but then wait and see how she feels when you bring her a dozen eggs. If you're still getting the cold shoulder then, it's not worth worrying about anymore. You'll have done everything you can be expected to do.

You might not want to get a rooster though. . . unless you find some sort of entertainment value in annoying her. But then you might be experiencing a whole different set of problems. Really my neighbors are blessed to be such kind people cause I can get uppity from time to time.
smack.gif
Like I said, a whole different issue.
gig.gif

Mark

Oh, and just tell her she's more likely to get salmonella from that factory chicken in the grocery store than from your birds.
wink.png
There are a few videos online that'll put you right off any meat you can buy at the store. I don't think you need to subject her to that though. I might, but like I said, I have this uppity streak, I'm sure you're much nicer.
big_smile.png

Mark

When you have eggs to give away, why don't you give her some? Do you think she would accept them? I have a 15 year old, 2 1/2 year old, and a 1 1/2 year old and they touch our chickens all the time and haven't had any reactions. They do wash their hands when we are done, but no problems at all. I live on a 20 acre ranch too and just in the last few years had houses all around us built close by. My neighbor on one side saw us the day we picked up our chicks and she "turned her nose" up at the possibility that we were going to have them. I told her that she can have as many eggs as she wants, which I thinked helped a bit. The best part about little kids is that they are so curious of everything that is going on around them. Even though Mom is telling her children not to touch or play with your chickens because of the avian thing, keep talking about how much fun chickens are! I read in a book that the author gave away her TV to watch her coop instead.

Good luck!

She is most likely just worried as anyone who does not have all the information might be. I would not take it personal. After all she would just be doing what she thinks is right for her kids health/safty.

What you can do is just ask her if she has any concerns and then address those. Have books on hand that you can show her and let her know if she has any future question or worries to just ask.

There is too much in the media about the avian flu these days. Information is good, but i think alot of people don't listen or are told all the facts. The neighbor is probally jsut afraid like everyone else that does not know what is going on and how it is spread. For one you need to sit down and chat with her, say "i feel like something is bothering you can we talk about it." If she denies it, ask her in a nonthreatning way if the chickens bother her. If you don't think that will work, talk with or have dh talk with hubby about what the kids are saying and are they bothered by the chickens. You really need to clear the air about her fears or later problems may develop worse than they are now.

I have a close friend who suggested that we handle our chickens with gloves, etc. It was just fear and lack of education. I explained to her that I was also concerned about health concerns and had of course done my homework regarding Avian flu, etc. before deciding to get chickens. I explained to her that if and when Avian Flu becomes a reality that we would have to part with the chickens. I don't personally think that day will come... but it reassured her. Once she understood that I had looked into these issues and was in fact educated she relaxed. When the chicks arrived she was excited to see them, brought her whole family over, and picked them up and cuddled them. There has been a lot of hype about bird flu, etc. here. We even got a letter from the school board about it a few months ago, and local schools no longer have chickens or hatch chicks in incubators. So... try to be on the other side of the concern and meet here there.

I hope that helps a little. I also had thought that her child would no longer be allowed over, but that has not turned out to be the case at all. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom