I feel sooooo bad.......

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DUCKGIRL89, Oct 4, 2011.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    im not sure WHAT I want? I got the khakis, thinking ill love them, but I dont? I did when I first had them but they just dont seem like my thing? Ya know what I mean? And now my male rouen is acting up, ALOT!!! And bights my anckles alot, and I dont really like him. I need to keep him till spring though, so I can send hatching eggs to a buddy. But I dont like him much. I didnt like the calls, and the only breed that seem I like in my welsh harlequins. And now I am in love with anconas? Im sooooo confused and I feel really bad about buying and rehoming ducks, but I dont know what to do? Should I feel bad about this? TELL ME WHAT TO DO!?!?!?!?!?!?

2. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    Washington
    Remember that, no matter how much we love them, ducks are livestock and basically more like wild animals. They will be happy anywhere they get fed, have duckie buddies, clean water and good care. I've re-homed ducks, some that I bought, some that I bred, if you breed you can't keep them all. I've sent quite a few to freezer camp too.

If you want to concentrate on Welsh Harlequins and Aconas, then do so. If you care about the ducks you have now but want to re-home, take your time, find them good homes and then LET THEM GO and don't fret over "what ifs" and make yourself miserable. I love those two breeds, btw, by far my favorites, except I really enjoy the Saxonys and the Silver Appleyards.... and am very glad I have room for some interesting mutts! lol

3. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Thank you grannycarol. And yes, I do want to concentrate on my welshies and maybe anconas more. I like my rouens, and want to keep two of the girls (i need to keep the male till spring becuz of my buddie) and (maybe) get some ancona eggs from my other buddy (bayyjayy) but I still need to think. I dont REALLY love the khakis, they lay good, but I want to concentrate on the more "rare" breeds. Thanks again. You made me feel better. I was getting sick becuz of this.

4. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    If they aren't your thing, get rid of them and focus on something you enjoy more. Simple.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  5. crazybarnlady

crazybarnlady Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2010
    langley, BC, Canada
    don't worry, it takes a while to figure out which breeds are a good fit for you. I think most of us have gone through a few until we find the right ones. [​IMG]

6. Balefire

Balefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Orwigsburg PA
    Quote:Agree. Sometimes it takes some steps till you find what you like [​IMG]

7. bayyjayy

bayyjayy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    Quote:Agree. Sometimes it takes some steps till you find what you like [​IMG]

Yep! What they said! [​IMG]

8. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    I agree with the people who have posted before. It often takes a lot of trial and error to find the thing that suits you best. Don't feel guilty, just try to find them great homes and care for them to the best of your abilities until that day comes.

As for your Rouen - if he is young he may mellow out over time, but I would not keep him (or the other Rouens for that matter) just because your friend may want some next spring. A lot can change in the 4 months of winter. He may decide he wants to raise Alpacas, turtles, or Anacondas by the time you're ready to hand over some little ones!

I would do what is best for me and my flock and let him know you are more than willing to hatch some eggs for him when he is ready to take them. There is no reason to feed, house and care for ducks you don't like all that much for the sake of someone else. Maybe if he gave you a kidney a while back or something. If he is your friend I am sure he will understand.

It is so hard to resist Duck Acquisition Syndrome (D.A.S.), especially when confronted with the sheer number of beautiful, wonderful animals out there. I look at it like this - I have my whole lifetime to try different breeds and different methods of raising them. I can take all the time in the world to add to my flock, for now I want to get to know my trio and become the best duck person I can be. The rest will happen in time.

Good luck to you, and don't feel bad. Some breeds are just not the right one for you.

9. grawg

grawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    East Tennessee
    Those khakis are laying right now aren't they? I wouldn't mind taking them in if you wanted to sell them.

10. tbitt

tbitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    IL
    How old are you? Just asking because your posts make me think you are still young.

Maybe you need an adult to help guide you. It is not always good to take in animals on a quick whim and then decide you do not like them, because then you are stuck with something you don't like, and the animal is now in jeopardy of not finding a good home.

Ducks are ducks, and they will be what ever you raise them to be.

I would suggest taking a step back and reevaluating what you have now and what you want in the future. Maybe you just need less number of ducks, or maybe none at all, maybe you just want to raise babies (they are darned cute after all) and sell them when they are adults. If the latter is better for you maybe get meat ducks and sell them for the table. [​IMG] If you establish yourself as a good place for meat ducks then you will forever be able to raise babies.

You need to decide what you want before you sell and repurchase more ducks. [​IMG] Good Luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by