I feel terrible

Stevo

Songster
9 Years
Apr 14, 2010
Howell, NJ
Found an egg layed in my lumber shed yesterday. So as per the advise I read on here I did not let the chickens out today. They have freeranged since they were babies. They were all standing in the run waiting for me to let them out this morning. They all yelled at me when I walked away lol.

How long should I keep them in?

Figures mine lay mid afternoon lol. I have 3 EE's laying now out of 19 and don't want them to fall into bad habits. Is 3 or 4 days long enuff?

Mine were free ranging since they where 10 weeks old and at 17 weeks I put them in partial lockdown so they wouldn't get into bad habits with the egg laying all over the place. I let them out around 3 or 4. The first days where tough and I felt horrible, even that they have a 15x20 grass run. They were just begging to be let out. Now that they are laying I still keep them in until at least 2. Usually all of their laying is done at that point. And they got used to the timing. The other day I was out shopping and didn't get home until 5 and half of them did fly over the fence to free range :)
And yesterday was the first time that I saw a hen go back into the coop after I let them out to lay her egg. So I guess they know now that the nesting box is the place to go ... when you gotta go :)

Back
Top Bottom