I figured it out! LOL!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenscott, Aug 17, 2010.

1. chickenscott

chickenscott Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2009
    Pacific NW
    My Coop
    So as I wrote a few weeks back I could not figure out why to perfectly health and young hen would stop laying for no apparent reason. I found the reason today. They switched to a different nest! It has been hot and I guess under the coop is better than in the coop. I included some pics of what I found - I removed the hay and am going to encourage them to go back to the easy nest box! Thanks for all the suggestions and kind words. I sort of feel dumb but I just was not able to see under the coop until today. That is right, 16 eggs!!! [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    LOL. Sneaky birds! I have one hen who like to move around - behind the step ladder, behind the door, maybe once in a while in a nest box...

3. HB&B

HB&B Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    Woodlawn, TN
    WOW! What a sneaky little girl! Glad she didn't really stop laying. HAHA!

4. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    It's sort of like finding $16 in your winter coat pocket. It was always yours, you just didn't realize it was there, and you're really excited when you find it! [​IMG]

5. SparksNV

SparksNV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    Still new to chickens - my pullets haven't started laying yet - Probably a dumb question, but are the eggs still good?

6. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    Quote:It depends some will probably be good the older 1s might be rotten, if she doesn't throw them all out she'll have to test them all individually.

7. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Put them in water and throw away the floaters?

8. TheBarnSwallow

TheBarnSwallow [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Lit

some of our girls were doing the same thing... laying elsewhere but the nesting boxes

9. moonlyghtegirl

moonlyghtegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Hey,

You need to make sure your coop is well ventilated. We leave the doors open to the coop, and had to drill holes on the top gable areas in the coop to help air circulate.

And yes, removing the litter under the coop will help as well, but it is not a guarantee, mine set wherever they decide when it pleases them, but mostly they lay in the boxes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by