I finally decided to put them on a wire floor

Discussion in 'Quail' started by iheartquail, Feb 4, 2013.

1. iheartquail

iheartquail Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2012
    After losing way too many birds due to raccoon and rat attacks, I decided enough was enough and made the bottom of their pen 1/4 inch hardware cloth. I was feeling all guilty because they won't get to be on the ground anymore, but safety first for my birds. But oddly enough, my birds PREFER the wire floor. Lol. Probably because they were raised on wire. I also elevated the pen off the ground. My birds used to be terrified of me and run around like crazy when I'd feed them. Now they come right up to me as I'm feeding them. Go figure. All this time I've been telling everyone how dumb my quail are, but it turns out I'm the dummy!

2. nothingbutbirds

nothingbutbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    what kind of quail are they?

3. iheartquail

Oct 8, 2012
    Coturnix

4. nothingbutbirds

Aug 9, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    jumbo or small the big ones are usaully really friendly. if you put electric fencing around their pen one near the ground and one a little higher up they will never bother your birds again.

5. iheartquail

Oct 8, 2012
    I don't think they are the jumbo kind but I'm not sure as I bought them from someone. They are pretty small. I might try putting up an electric fence although a rat could sneak around that.

6. drowe005

drowe005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Corapeake NC
    If its not too late or too hard to change it out, I would recommend you using 1/2 inch hardware cloth. The reason I say that is so that old bedding and all their poop will fall out. I use 1/2" and sometimes I have some poop get caught up still, but most falls out; I feel the 1/4" will prevent a bit from falling out. Just my 2 cents

7. nothingbutbirds

Aug 9, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    do you know what it was, or have any ideas.jumbo at full age are about the size of a small chicken. Raccons are the biggest threat as they will grab
    birds threw the cage and rip their legs of and break them which would leave you to the job of finishing them if the blood loss didnt kill them. You could give your birds the option of going outside and then putting them away at night.burying the fence will discoirage ang burrowing pests.

8. iheartquail

Oct 8, 2012
    My first predator attack back in the summer was a raccoon. Killed all 5 of my birds.
    I got new birds. Last week, I lost two due to a rat attack. I found the tunnels that the rat dug under the pen and have seen rat activity near it.

9. nothingbutbirds

Aug 9, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    sand and gravel layered heavily would also discourage them.raccons are horrible they usaully wastevhalf the bid anyways.

1 person likes this.
  10. I hope you have better success with your raised enclosure as I am sure you will. Raised pens 3' to 4' off the ground is the best way to go with cots. As previously mentioned 1/2'' hardware cloth is best. If you put a pan or short box filled with sand and maybe some DE they will love you all the more. Tiny nest boxes or a flat surface gives them even more protection at night. Many problems are solved with raised pens.

Best of wishes to your new batch.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by