I finally did it! I'm a brood hen!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Chick-a-dow-dee, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Chick-a-dow-dee

Chick-a-dow-dee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2014
    Yesterday I decided to go back to the local feed store (after they told me there was no such thing as an Easter Egger - ok whatever) and asked about brown layers. I was told they were getting some Road Island Reds but actually got Buff Orpingtons AND they were all pulets. When I ask them if they had any blue layers they said they had Amerecaunas but they were not seed at the hatchery. So thinking an odd number of increase my chances at a male and female - so I can make my own EEs I bought three and here's the whole little flock:
    [​IMG]

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Awww they are so cute. Congratulations! ! Thanks for sharing your story! They are precious.

3. Gryphon

Gryphon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2012
    Iowa
    As a native born Rhode Islander, I feel obligated to say it's a "Rhode Island Red", it is the state bird after all. ;)

Adorable chicks! Do you know which one are the "Ameracaunas"? (they really are Easter Eggers, I don't think it's even possible for a hatchery to have Ameracaunas since they have so many regulations as to what qualifies them as that breed)

If you can get some good side view pictures of the EE chicks, I might be able to tell you if any are males. Sometimes you get lucky and they have clear indicators for it even at such a young age. Typically though they try to sell only females at stores like that, but sometimes a male slips in.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Your babies are just adorable!! [​IMG]

5. Chick-a-dow-dee

Feb 10, 2014
    The buff ones are the pullets, Buff Orpingtons. The Ameraucanas are the colored ones. There is a (at least one but could be more) hachery just north of Austin, TX where they hatch Ameraucanas and judging by the way they are acting, I think I could have a rooster :D they are so sweet! My Pomeranian has turned out to be a pretty good chicken shepherd, she works tirelessly to keep the cats away! :D :D

6. Gryphon

Gryphon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2012
    Iowa
    What gives away cockerels with EE's is that they have thicker legs and their comb looks a teeny bit different, so a good side shot and head-on shot close up of the face helps the most with figuring that out.

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Congratulations on your new brood! Now get brooding!

8. Chick-a-dow-dee

Feb 10, 2014
    Lol believe me I do. I call someone daily to go check on my chicks when I'm away and the first thing I do when I get home it make sure the chicks are ok! Lol:lol:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by