1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I finally found a lady turkey...

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by IggiMom, Apr 30, 2009.

1. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    We have a year old Blue Slate turkey guy who has become fairly aggressive to strangers. He ran off the UPS man.

My husband really likes him, he is a pet I guess, and someone told us that he would be less aggressive if we had a lady friend for him, and after much looking I finally found him a lady turkey friend, actually a blue slate also.

So he should be happy. I will be picking her up next Tuesday.

Does anyone know if this will actually take care of the aggression problem?

2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    [​IMG] i hope so [​IMG]

3. Struttn1

Struttn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    It may but I had a very aggressive Black Spanish tom last year with a whole yard full of hens. He finally chilled after the breeding season wound down but was no problem at all this year after the other toms ganged up on him and nearly killed him.

4. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    Iggimom's new lady turkey would be just that. A "new" lady. It may help since he doesnt have a lady friend and now will. He may be so busy with her he may forget about everything else.

5. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Only time will tell on the agression. From my experience once they start they don't quit.

We had one Royal Palm tom that took a dislike for everything and everybody that had two legs. I worked with him a for just about a year (or should say put up with him and mangaged not to kill him) until the next breeding season. I wanted one more hatch from him as he had really nice markings. He now lives in a large pasture with a bunch of hens and is still mean as a snake.

Steve

6. IggiMom

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    Oh. Darn. Well, we will see. He "helped" a local turkey hunter off the place this morning. I am afraid my husband found it rather enjoyable. See, he doesn't attack him.

7. Steve_of_sandspoultry

If he isn't going after you guys then their may be hope. They are quirky birds and no two act the same.

Steve

8. IggiMom

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    Quirky is right. No he doesn't go after us. He is the first turkey we have had so we don't understand him all the time.

After the dog attacked (and killed) a number of birds, he wandered around the yard with his head pointing up for quite a while. It was rather pitiful.

It is hard to describe but he appeared to be expecting attacks from above.

9. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Quote:It takes awhile to figure them out but it's fun doing it. We sit out back and watch the "turkey channel" for hours and hours

Steve

10. bkvail

bkvail Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:That is SO funny Steve - we call our Turkeys in the fence ''Turkey TV'' LOL. Even the dogs like to watch TTV [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by