I FINALLY get my dream breed, but what's with those GREEN earlobes?? The Speckled Sussex...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by purplesquirrel, Oct 31, 2014.

1. purplesquirrel

purplesquirrel Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2013
    Bristol, United Kingdom
    I've been trying for the last year to get the breed I've always wanted, and some how people had either just run out of stock, or they'd just sold their last breeding pair...or they've stopped laying, or the breeders number is old...
    And then I finally spot an advert for some one selling a pure breed Speckled Sussex, POL and only £14! They even offered to deliver it (from the other side of the city) as I don't drive.

She is very beautiful, but definitely younger than 6 months, her comb and wattles are flush red but her pelvic bones tell me she is at least a month and a half away from POL, and now it's autumn she won't be laying till the spring anyway...

I've named her Pandora, I thought a spooky name for hallow'een was fitting :)

So I'm watching her on her first day in my garden having her breakfast in the sunshine and hanging out with my 6 eight week old chicks (and showing them who's boss) when I notice..

SHE HAS FLUORESCENT PALE GREEN EARLOBES??!

What? What? What?

I mean, I don't care so much if she's not a complete purebred if she gives me blue/olive eggs. But what could she possibly be mixed with without looking like anything but a S.S?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If anyone has any ideas on what she could be crossed with that would be great, I'm dying to know :)

2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    She is mixed with something. Sussex are supposed to have white legs and her build looks too light for that breed as well. On my screen her earlobles look white though.

3. purplesquirrel

Dec 7, 2013
    Bristol, United Kingdom
    Yeh it was hard to take a photo for the green to show up.
    I found this sample online though

[​IMG]

And yes, I also noticed she us very athletic in build, very long legs, she appears quite skinny I feel...
    It was dark last night when he brought her round, I did give her the once over but I was feel rude taking too long to long thoroughly whilst they're standing there, darn it.

Maybe crossed with a Cream legbar?

4. Manningjw

Manningjw Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

My white leghorn's ear lobes looked a little greenish white when she was a pullet, now they are very white as a hen. Pretty bird but as has been said, likely has some other non-sussex bloodlines in her.

5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    I would suspect a Mediterranean breed in there somewhere. I'm not sure, you have some breeds over there that we don't have and I am not familiar with.

6. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    We have 3 SS in our mixed flock and they give us light brown, sort of tan colored eggs, not blue/olive. Is there such a difference in SS in your part where the eggs are a different color?

Just curious, hadn't thought their eggs would be a different color. Thanks.

P.S. And they are the sweetest birds, just lovely.

7. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Never feel rude for taking the time to thoroughly examine any bird you are taking on - and know that any seller who might take issue with you doing so is not a seller you want to be doing business with anyway.

1 person likes this.
  8. purplesquirrel

Dec 7, 2013
    Bristol, United Kingdom
    Yeh good point, I check her eyes, beak, feet, etc, her feather are stunning, so healthy and glossy and perfectly maintained.
    Her body shape reminds me of a game bird a little but I honestly don't have a clue.
    The only pure breeds I know of over here that lay green and blue eggs are Araucana and Cream legbar are the most common.
    Very strange.
    She was sold to me as a Speckled sussex, he seemed like a good man so I don't think he knew she wasn't pure.
    A bit annoying though, but never mind!
    Just have to wait and see what eggs she lays, I think she's only about 4 and a half months old, not 6 too

9. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    She is a very pretty girl. You'll have to let us know how she lays once she starts. You might not have to wait 6 months, ours began laying around 5 months.

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She is not a Speckled Sussex; could be a Speckled Sussex mix. The white earlobes mean she was probably crossed with a Mediterranean breed (Leghorn, etc.).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by