I Finally Get To Have Chickens!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Chickenchick33, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Chickenchick33

Chickenchick33 Chirping

Feb 4, 2019
    Oregon - Portland Area
    After 32 years of marriage, my husband finally said "fine, we can have chickens." I am so excited and wasted no time in starting the process of researching everything I could find on chickens. We have hired a builder to build my coop & run and will start building next week. We will have a 12' x 8' coop with 8'x8' devoted to the chickens and a 10' x 12' covered run. Ideally, I would like to have 6 hens and 1 rooster and have been refining my wish list for the breeds I would like to have. I really want to participate in the complete process and have decided to hatch my flock in an incubator. My problem is finding a local source for hatching eggs. We live in the Portland Oregon area and really want to purchase locally. I'm looking for fertilized eggs for: Buff Orpington, Black Copper Marans, Ameraucana, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Welsummer and Light Sussex.

Thanks for letting me be a part of this community! I am looking forward to learning from all of you.

2. Perris

Perris Songster

Jan 28, 2018
    Gower, Wales
  3. A_Fowl_Guy

A_Fowl_Guy Wildlife Biologist

Jan 29, 2019
    Newberry, Indiana
    :yesss: :welcome :yesss:
    Welcome to our eggcelent flock here at BYC! Make sure you choose a breeder carefully as they have been known to sell sick chickens. If all else fails, try a hatchery.

4. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Almy Acres Farm

Jun 26, 2014
    Corning, NY
    Welcome to our FUNomenal community! :celebrate Best wishes and have lots of fun! :wee

5. N F C

N F C Poo happens, move on

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

Congrats on being able to finally have chickens! Raising poultry can be an enjoyable and rewarding hobby for the entire family.

You might like to pop into your state thread to say hello to fellow OR members:
    Oregon

Best of luck to you, thanks for joining us!

6. Melky

Melky Can’t wait for Spring!

Jul 23, 2018
    Edgewood, KY
    My Coop
    5CBCEB3F-54D2-43D7-8684-213AB0EBFECF.jpeg
    Welcome to BYC!
    Good Luck starting your flock! ​

7. ButtonquailGirl14

ButtonquailGirl14 Crossing the Road

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    Welcome to byc!!!! That's an awesome Coop your building!!! I would possibly look at some hatcheries, or maybe you can look up for example :"Ameraucana hatching eggs for sale" that is the best way I have fun
    Ound some! Let me know if you need help with anything!

8. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Congrats! Enjoy them, they're lots of fun! :welcome so glad you joined us!

9. Chickenchick33

Chickenchick33 Chirping

Feb 4, 2019
    Oregon - Portland Area
    I am looking specifically for a reputable hatcher
    Thank you!

10. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi & :welcome

Great that you could join us all here! How exciting to be finally getting your chicken adventures started after so many years! I’m sure you will enjoy them very much. Good luck with your build and enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: